Today, I am sharing an easy yet delicious and crunchy French bread called FOUGASSE !
More than the leafy pattern...which is ofcourse fun to make...this bread is a must try. You can add flavours to the bread or eat it just like that! It is awesome!
I have become a big fan of this bread and this is the third time I am making it!!!!
Recipe courtesy: Richard Bertinet
I have used 80% hydration dough for this recipe. You can make 50:50 all purpose flour and wheat flour.
But if you are making this for the first time, I suggest you indulge in APF, to get that crunchy taste!
All purpose Flour - 1 kg(1000gms)
Instant dry yeast- 1 tsp( yes, that little)
Water- 730 ml
Salt-1 1/2 tsp
Sugar- 1 tbsp( you can add more if you want the bread sweeter)
Mint leaves- finely chopped
Garlic butter- 1 tbsp ( add more if required)
Let us start preparing our bread.
1. Since, this is a hydration dough, kneading is going to take time. Mix all the ingredients with warm water and mix roughly with a large fork. Then you can use the the dough machine, if you have one, other wise no problem. Dust your work surface with little glour and your hand too and get working.
2. It is a sticky dough, but with kneading ( fold,stretch,fold..) method, it will turn firmer. LOT OF PATIENCE IS REQUIRED!!!! It took around 30 minutes for me to get an elastic dough!!!! I simply imagined a super soft bread and switched on the music...that kept me going! Since my hands were super sticky,
3. For guidance on the basic yeast dough making you can refer to this link:
Also you can watch Richard Bertinet's youtube video on kneading hydration dough for motivation!!!
4. Once the dough has risen, punch it down, divide it into six portions.dust your work surface lighly. Shape each portion roughly in the shape of a triangle.
5. Now using a dough scrapper or anything broad and little sharp,make cuts in the dough like this. I started in the centre and then made the cuts in the sides. Stretch the dough well and place it on a baking tray lined with butter paper.
6. Using sharp scissors, I made small cuts on the corners in a pattern. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or butter paper and sprinkle semolina on it. You can also sprinkle on top of the bread( optional).
7. There is no need for second rise. You can bake this immediately at 170 degrees in a preheated oven. I just sprayed water on the top so that the crust is even more crunchy.
8. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or till the top layer is browned and on tapping the back of the baking vessel, you hear a hollow sound.
9. While the bread is baking, let us prepare our mint butter topping.In a pan, heat garlic butter .the. Add the fresh mint leaves. Saute' for just a minute and switch off.
10. When you remove the bread from the oven, using a brush, bast the bread with this mint butter.Hmmmm...the aroma, fills your kitchen. You can eat this immediately. I could hear the crackle of the bread when I ate it!!,
What an awesome bread! This is a big hit recipe in my Kitchen! Do try it MOMs, it is worth the effort!
If you are going to make more,than you can send this bread for school too. Try making mini fougasse!!
Your kids are just going to enjoy it! A great starter too...especially if you are planning for pizzas or pastas.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you all.
You are sure to bring more smiles!