I am sharing an interesting,easy, healthy baked dish 'Vegetable Au Gratin'. Though the name might sound complicated, the recipe is actually simple.
According to Wikipedia,' Gratin' is a popular technique in which the ingredients are topped with cheese, eggs or breadcrumbs and baked till browned.
This is a wonderful way of getting children eat lots of vegetables. You can bake this ahead of time for your parties and heat them up just before serving. You can use individual ramekins to bake them too.
VEGETABLE AU GRATIN:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 25-30 minutes
Serves : 2
1 Cup = 250 ml
Special Vessel : Shallow baking dish or ramekins
1 teaspoon Corn Flour
1/2 teaspoon olive oil ( If you are not vegan, use butter)
200 ml Soy Milk
1 Cup Chopped Vegetables ( Boiled, Al dente)- I used carrot, potato, cauliflower, corn kernels and peas
1 teaspoon Freshly Crushed Pepper
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Bread crumbs
1. In a pan, lightly roast the corn flour in oil/butter without any lumps . Switch off.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of Soymilk and make a smooth paste.
3. Put the pan back on low flame. The paste will thicken . Keep stirring and add the remaining soy milk.
TIP: If you are making for kids and you are not particular on Vegan food, then use grated Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese at this stage.
4. Add pepper and salt.
TIP: Cook in low flame and keep stirring.
6. If the gravy is too thick you can add little water or milk. Switch off.
7. Grease the baking dishes with oil/butter and transfer the vegetable mixture. Top with bread crumbs.
8. Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 175 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or till the time the top layer is brown .
TIP: You can bake in your microwave too. Use the convection + grill mode and bake till the top layer browns. The baking time will differ depending upon the type of vessel you use and the type of oven.
Your Vegetable Au Gratin is ready to be served. Yumm!!