Sunday, January 25, 2015

Coconut Chutney | How to make South Indian Style Coconut Chutney | Easy Recipe




Hi SUPERMOMS,

Today I am going to share my MOM's recipe of the World's best and quickest  coconut chutney. 

You can prepare this delicious chutney in just 10 minutes. All you need is coconut and green chillies. 
My North Indian friends always give me a puzzled look whenever I share this recipe . They always thought that Coconut Chutney was something very complicated to make. 

They ask me questions like"Are you sure the chutney would taste good without ginger? Without garlic? No curd?....."

Infact I told them that I use basically only three ingredients on the days I am pressed for time - coconut,green chillies and salt. 
This  delicious  chutney is a great accompaniment to Idli,Dosa, Vada,Pongal, Adai,Idiappam,Masala Dosa,Rava Dosa and the list goes on....





Coconut Chutney Recipe :

Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 5-7 minutes
Serves :4
1 cup = 250 ml cup

Ingredients :

1 cup fresh coconut ( chopped or grated)
1/4 cup roasted gram dal/chutney dal( optional)
2 green chillies ( adjust ) 
water ( adjust ) ( approximately 1/2 cup)
salt to taste

For tempering :

1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/ split and husked black gram dal
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)

Method :

1. Add the coconut, gram dal, green chillies into the small jar of the mixer /food processor .
2. Add water and allow it to soak for around 5 minutes.
3. Grind it coarsely. 
4. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
5. Heat a small pan/iron ladle with oil and temper with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
6. Pour it over the chutney.

Mix well and  serve it along with your tiffin.  



Here is the recipe tutorial for you!!



Chef tips :

Though there are 1000 variations that you can make in this chutney, it is necessary to know the basics first. Also I like to keep things simple and uncluttered.  

A few pointers for a fool proof chutney:

1.Fresh coconut gives the best taste. Try to use fresh. But in case you are using stored coconut,please soak it in hot water for a few minutes.

2. I have used green chillies for spice. For those who want a little more spice, you can add red chillies in the tempering.

3. Do not omit the curry leaves as they definetly enhance the taste. But grinding it along with the chutney will alter the colour and the taste.

4.I have used the chutney dal(roasted gram dal) just for thickening. I sometimes omit using this, if I have adequate coconut in stock . Grind the chutney well to get a smooth consistency .

5. Again, depending upon your family preference, you can adjust the water quantity. 




Easy,is'nt it???

I am sure you are going to bring more smiles!

HAPPY COOKING!

With love,

Masterchefmom






No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...