I had baked a similar looking cake ( using flour, eggs and baking powder) earlier. But wanted to make a healthier, gluten free and healthier version using no artificial colour and also with fermented rice batter. So here is my fusion take on the 'Surprise heart inside a cake' using Idli Batter.
Just make sure to use a pan / baking tin with a depth of at least 10 cms. You can also use small muffin pans .
Valentine Surprise Heart Cake :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml
Special Vessel : heart shaped cookie cutter, baking pans/tins
FOR THE WHITE PORTION
3 cups Idli batter
1 teaspoon oil ( for greasing the cake pan)
FOR THE HEART( you can do the sweet or savoury version) I did the savoury version
(Par)Boiled beetroot -1 whole
1-2 dry red chillies
1/2 " Ginger (grated)
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
5-6 cashew nuts ( broken)
1 teaspoon channa dal/bengal gram
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( torn into smaller pieces)
Let us start preparing our surprise.
1. In a mixer, add the par boiled beetroot, chillies and ginger.
2.Grind to a fine paste.
3. In a pan, temper and add the beetroot paste and saute' for 5 minutes, so that all the water will get absorbed.
4.Allow it to cool.
5. Mix 1 cup of the Idli batter with this beetroot paste and pour it in a greased pan.
6. Steam it for 10 to 15 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Allow it to cool completely. Using a cookie cutter, cut the pink Idlis in heart shape.
8. Now, grease a loaf pan and a cup of Idli batter,so that the hearts can stand on it. Now arrange the hearts upright,one after another like this.
9. Now pour the more Idli batter so that the hearts are covered and steam them for 20 to 25 minutes or till they are done. ( Insert a tooth pick to check if they are done).
10. Your surprise Idlis are ready.
You can add sugar to the beetroot with other flavours and make a sweet version too. You can try with carrot also.Just avoid the boiling part.
Just imagine, you are planning this for your kid's lunch box....he opens his box to see these beautiful heart idlis....you are sure to get loads of love in return!