I thoroughly enjoyed baking this flatbread. The beauty of this bread is the hidden cheese.
A keeper recipe for sure!
Recipe courtesy : www.fondbites.com
I made this bread with 50% whole wheat flour and 50% all purpose flour. You can use all purpose flour completely if you want.
Whole wheat flour- 250gms
All purpose flour- 250 gms
Luke warm water- 250 ml( adjust)
Instant dry yeast- 1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Sugar- 1 tbsp
Milk for brushing
Olive oil- 1 tbsp for kneading + greasing, 1 tbsp for basting( may be a little more)
Herbs and spices of your choice( I used dried basil, parsley)
Now let us start preparing the FLAT BREAD.
1. Firstly mix all dry ingredients and pour the luke warm water in it and mix everything with a fork. Add olive oil and mix.
2. Transfer the dough to a working counter and knead the dough till it becomes soft and pliable.
3. Grease a bowl, transfer the dough and cover it with a damp cloth and allow it to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Keep the bowl in a warm place.The dough would have risen.
For picture tutorial to prepare the dough refer to
4. Punch the dough and divide the dough equally into smaller balls. Using a rolling pin,gently roll each ball to make rough circles.
5. In one circle, spread the cheddar cheese( roughly chopped) and sprinkle the herbs. Place another circle on top and pinch to seal the edges.
6. Using a knife make cuts to allow the heat to escape .
7. Preheat the oven. Grease the baking tray and keep arranging the breads on it. Make sure to keep the dough as well as the shaped ones covered,so that they don't dry up! Just befoe putting them in the oven, brush the top with milk and place few onion slices and sprinkle the seasoning.
8.Now bake them for 10 to 15 minutes at 180 degress or till you see the sides browning.
Once they are done, pour olive oil on the bread and serve warm.
My house smelled heavenly when I baked them. It is a meal by itself. We enjoyed it with hot soup.
I loved this recipe, hope you liked it too!