Wednesday, March 25, 2015

CRUSTY WHEAT MINI BUNS(EGGLESS)

Hi Supermoms,

Start of a new academic year for my daughter. Getting ready for the new class can be both exciting and a little nervous. 

School also means that I need to wake up early to prepare lunch box!!!!! 

Just made up my mind, that I should come up with interesting and HEALTHY food ! 
That can be quite a task ! 



When I packed the tiffin box, was not very confident ( Mother's gut feel), that she would like these buns.

Kept so quiet when she came back from school. 
Was feeling so happy when she shared," Amma, your wheat mini buns were a big hit with my friends,you know, I got just two to eat!! Ofcourse, I ate the apple slices ...would have loved to share that instead of the buns... !"

This has boosted my confidence  as I am never happy when I bake whole wheat. So glad that this recipe worked.

I have drawn inspiration from KingArthurflour. But, have added some more ingredients to make it more healthy.

INGREDIENTS

Whole wheat flour- 3 cups( plus a tbsp for dusting)

Flax seeds powder- 2 tbsp

Phyllum husk- 2 tsp

Instant dry yeast- 1 tbsp

Water- 2 cups

Salt-1 tsp

Brown sugar- 1/4 cup

Milk powder- 1/4 cup

Butter-1/4 cup or you can use olive oil

Mashed banana( optional)-1 

Now let us start preparing the mini buns.I made the buns a day earlier.

1.In a bowl, mix a tsp of regular sugar and yeast. Pour a tbsp of warm water. Keep it untouched for 10 minutes. It will become  frothy.

2. In another bowl, add all the other ingredients. Warm the water. Form a well and pour the water inside the well. Add the yeast mixture and mix well again. Now, transfer this sticky dough in your work counter and start kneading by stretching the dough and folding it inside. Do not knead very hard. Keep dusting the counter with little flour at a time, if it is becoming too sticky! Once the dough is soft( it will take 7 to 10 mins of gentle kneading), oil a bowl and allow it to rest in a warm place. Cover it with cling film. Allow it to double. It will take 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.


3. Once the dough has risen, punch it down ,take small portions of the dough and roll them into balls.Grease a baking pan with oil/butter and arrange them in the same.do Leave a cm gap between each bun.



Roll them tighly.


4. Cover this again with a damp cloth and let it rest for another hour. You can brush the top with milk or  egg( i have made this eggless) and sprinkle some sesame seeds/Nigella seeds/pumpkin seeds etc.


5. In a preheated oven, bake the buns at 180 degrees for 25 minutes( to 30 minutes) or till the time you hear a hollow sound when you tap the bottom of the baking pan. Cool in the wire rack.


When completely cooled, I nicely packed them in a zip lock cover. It can be stored in room temperature for 2 days.

This is how, I sent it for school.

1. I heated the toaster grill with amul garlic butter.


2. Prepared a spread by mixing cream cheese with a tsp of green chilli sauce and finely chopped onions and bell peppers. Added little aalt and mixed everything very well.




3. I cut the buns into half and spread the cheese .

4. Placed them in the toaster.I could keep 4 as they were so tiny( so cute!)


5. Gently closed the toaster.DO NOT PRESS!


TADA.....yummy,crusty,tasty ,healthy,cutie MINI BUNS are ready to be packed!



What did you pack for your child's tiffin box today? Do share with me in the comments section of the blog or on my facebook page .

Shall meet you all soon with more recipes and stories!

HAPPY COOKING!

With love,

MASTERCHEFMOM














No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...