When you want to make a sweet dish and have very limited time...this is the best sweet dish you can make. Nothing elaborate or fancy with just three main ingredients ! But you can't stop with just one helping. I have tasted various versions of this HALWA, but firstly will like to share the recipe that I make at home.We call it RAVA KESARI. The entire dish can be prepared in just 10 minutes.
1.semolina( rava)- roast the semolina before hand in a pan with a tsp of ghee. When it starts turning brown, switch off and cool it completely. You can do this before hand and store the rava in an air tight container. It helps when we want to quickly make Kesari or Upma.
2. Ghee- 2 tbsp
3. Sugar,cardamom powder
5. Cashewnuts-( lighly toasted for garnish, optional)
6. For colour ,you can soak a few strands of kesar in a tsp of hot milk. Since I was pressed for time, added a pinch of food colour.
The proportion of Rava:Water: Sugar = 1 cup rava: 2 cups water: 3/4 cup sugar .
This is the most important thing that will decide the taste of this dessert. Water can be adjusted according to the brand of rava( semolina) that you use.
Let us start preparing KESARI. I made this when the plates were already set on the table...had made veg.biriyani and spicy ACHARI RAITA...but my little one wanted some sweet. So made this in a jiffy. Had made a small portion .
1. Take a pan or wok and add the ghee. When the ghee is hot add 1/4 tsp of powdered cardamom
2. Now add the water and sugar. Let it boil.
3. When it starts boiling add the rava and the kesar( colour). Keep stirring so that no lumps are formed.Let the gas be in low flame.
4. As you stir, you will see that the semolina has absorbed the water and cooked.
Time to switch off. Kesari is ready to be served hot!!!!
When you are craving to have a hot dessert, this is the most idealistic and yummiest dessert. Why go to a sweet shop when we can dish out healthy and yummy dessert in 10 minutes???
Hope you will also agree SUPERMOMS!
Bringing more smiles,