Oh, I am so excited to share this recipe with you all. Being a lover of savoury bakes, making puffs at home has always been my dream.
But the amount of butter that goes into making them,always put me off. I have been postponing making them due to this reason.
But, I can never resist myself from getting Veg puff or a paneer puff/patty from even the local sweet shop guy.
So...had to make these at home! Ofcourse the purist may not agree to this recipe of low fat puffs. But let me assure you that there is no compromise on taste. And the best thing is that you can eat as many as you want. You don't need to stop yourself with just one!!
I had some boiled black eyed peas and chick peas and wanted to use them. So ground them, added mint ,spices and my stuffing was ready.
But I suggest that you prepare a potato peas filling. Would taste amazing!!!!!
I would be making them shortly and shall post that too!
Ok, now for the pastry you will need:
All purpose flour- 2 cups
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
Ghee(clarified butter)- 2 tsp (you can adjust). You can also use butter/ margerine
Salt and water to make a dough.
1. Mix, all purpose flour with water,salt and half half of oil. Make a loose sticky dough. Cover with cling wrap and rest it for a day or atleast 4 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Prepare your filling.
3. Dust your work space with flour. Divide your dough into smaller portions and roll each into a ball. Work with one at a time.
4. Using a tolling pin, roll it out into a large rectangle( any shape). Using a brush, grease with olive oil.
5. Now, sprinkle flour on top .
6. Now, do the fan folding ,twist and roll into a circle.
7.Now start repeat the same process for three more times. Infact, you can fold the circle into a quarter, ie.,first fold the circle into half and then fold again. Now, use the rolling pin to stretch the dough. Roll from the edges,so that the layers are thin. If you are used to making Laccha parathas( Indian flatbread), then this is a breeze!
8. After three times of layering process, you can start stuffing .Use a good amount of stuffing.
9. Prepare a baking tray with foil. Grease the foil with ghee using a brush. Place the puffs on the tray with the seam side facing down.Also brush the puffs with ghee on the top side.
10. In a pre heated oven, bake the puffs for 12- 15 minutes. Remove,turn and brush the bottom side with ghee.Bake for another 15 minutes. Remove and check the golden brown colour. If you are not satisfied with the colour, bake again after brushing with ghee till the time the top layer is crisp and golden.
It took about 25 minutes for me .
You can substitute Ghee with butter.
Perfect evening snack. I already want to make it again!!!!!
Do try and share your feedback .
You are sure to bring more smiles with this recipe!