Till about two years back,
whenever I cook any dish with aubergine,my husband would always add" this is good...but cannot match to the Gutti Vankaya Koora that is made in Andhra...". Yes, after all the hours in the kitchen,hearing this comment is not really motivating!!
I had this recipe in my bucket list and wanted to learn it from a person who can cook it authentically. I did not get an opportunity to taste it till that time..so was clueless as to how it would taste. Ofcourse,my hubby would describe in detail as to the various flavours that the dish is filled with.
My quest ended when my In-laws visited us for summer vacations. Since my Mother-in-law has spent many years in hyderabad, she had learnt to make this authentic dish from her friend. She was more than willing to share the recipe with me! It was my lucky day and when I tasted it gor the very first time, I knew that this is THE BEST AUBERGINE RECIPE IN THE WORLD ( atleast my world) ,to be enjoyed with hot Sona Masoori Rice and Ghee!!!
The preparation for this recipe starts from selecting the right kind of brinjal. Use fresh,tender baby brinjals only!!
Also, do not reduce the oil . Only then you will get the authentic taste.
Baby brinjals/ aubergines- 15 - 20
Tamarind pulp- 2 tbsp
Onion - 2
Ginger- 1/4 tsp
Sesame seeds-2 tsp
Ground nuts- 10 to 15
Coriander seeds-2 tsp
Cinnamon- small stick
Star Anise- 1
Fennel seeds- 1/4 tsp
I also added 1/4 tsp of flax seeds( this is optional)
Dried red chillies-8 to 10 or little more ( depending on the variety,mine was very spicy)
Curry leaves,MUSTARD SEEDS,oil(3tbsp) of Sesame oil.
SALT TO TASTE
1. First step is to give small cuts to the brinjals . Keep the jacket on.
2. Now, in a large pan, heat a tsp of oil gor shallow frying and add the aubergines/brinjals. It will take stleast 15 minutes to fry. Keep tossing them for uniform frying. While it is cooking, let us prepare our masala.
3. In another small pan, roast the ingredients other than coconut.
4. Allow it to cool and grind them to powder after adding a tsp of grated coconut.
5. Now, add the onions ,ginger ,curry leaves and garlic and grind to form a paste.
6. Your aubergine will be ready by this time.
7. Heat a wide pan with sesame oil. Temper with mustard seeds and add the masala paste. Add the tamarind paste and Add one cup of water.add salt to taste. Cook in low flame,lightly covered. Initially it will look like this.
Adding the tamarind pulp...
8. After 10 to 12 minutes,you can see the oil seperating in the sides of the pan. If the gravy is getting too thick, you can add some more water.
9. Add the aubergines. Let them cook together for another 7 to 10 minutes.
10. When, the oil seperates, it is time to switch off.
Just enjoy this super yummy dish with hot Sona Masoori Rice or popularly known as Andhra Rice.
This is a keeper recipe. Appalam and a simple raita will be great accompaniment to this awesome dish!
Do try this recipe SUPERMOMS!
You are sure to bring more smiles!