This Chutney powder is a 'friend' to every South Indian mother. It is a perfect companion to Idlis and Dosas. Infact,I love having it with curd ! The Idli Chutney powder is so versatile ! We have a huge bottle of this chutney powder. Just mix a tsp of sesame oil with this Spicy powder...dip the idli or dosa and enjoy!
I marinate the idlis in the powder - oil combination and send it for my kid's school tiffin box . They have never complained!
If you have been buying this powder from the market....you are missing the joy if making it at home! This recipe will surely help you!
So easy ,tasty and healthy!
This is my mother's recipe.
Pick up good quality chillies(dried)
Red chillies- 150gms
Husked black gram( urad dal)- 100 gms
Coriander seeds- 2 tsp( optional)
Flax seeds-2 tsp
Sesame seeds- 2 tsp
Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves- according to taste
Salt to taste
1. In a wok/ kadai,heat 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and roast the bengal gram,husked black gram, chillies seperately. Fry each individually and allow it to cool. Do not fry the chillies too much other wise they will turn black .
2. Next toast the flax seeds and the sesame seeds.
3. Next toast the curry leaves.
4. DO NOT ROAST THE CORIANDER SEEDS.
4. Add salt, asafoetida and coarsely grind all the ingredients in a mixer.
5. Let it cool completely.
6. Store this powder in an air tight container. It will keep for months.
I have given the measurements according to my family tastebuds.
You can increase or decrease the spice according to your taste.
I am already dreaming of piping hot idlis marinated in this super spicy powder!!!!