Today I am sharing another popular, tasty Chaat of North India- Bhalla Papdi Chaat.
I have already shared the Papdi Chaat and Dahi Bhalla recipes. This is a combination of the two.
I love having the Bhalla Papdi Chaat in summers as it is so refreshing to have chilled curd and Bhallas. Like all my other Chaat recipes, I have tried to replicate the Haldiram's presentation.
'Chaat' means 'lick' in Hindi and you will lick even the empty plate of this Dahi Bhalla...I'm not exaggerating...it's true!!
Let us get started.
Bhalla Papdi Chaat ( Lentil dumplings Chaat):
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1.Urad dal ( Husked black gram)- 1 cup
2.fenugreek -1/2 tsp( Fenugreek is a cooling ingredient and has other health benefits)
3.Oil for frying ( I used sunflower oil)
4.Green chutney http://masterchefmom.blogspot.com/2014/11/green-chutney.html
5.Sweet Chutney/ Saunth http://masterchefmom.blogspot.com/2015/05/saunthchaat-chutneysweet-chutney.html
6. Sweetened yoghurt
7. Dressing Sev
8. Potatoes-4 small
9. Black salt- according to your taste
10. Chaat masala- according to taste.
11. Papdri-15 numbers
1. Soak the Urad dal with fenugreek for 2 to 3 hours in water.
2. Drain the water and grind the dal in a mixer/ grinder until it is light and fluffy.Add salt. use minimum water to grind so that it is thick at the same time very light.
CHEF TIP: 1.You should not feel any weight when you lift the vessel with the ground batter.
2. Make your Bhallas/Vada( dumplings) immediately after grinding.
3. In a wok/ pan ,heat oil. When the oil is hot, make small ball shape of the dough using your hand or spoon ,dunk and fry it in oil till golden brown.
1.Right temperature of oil is the key to get perfect vadas/bhallas with less oil absorption. When the oil is hot, just test the temperature by frying a small piece of batter. If it sizzles the minute you drop it in oil, it indicates that the oil is right for frying.
2. Fry in medium flame.
4.when the vada/Bhalla is still warm, soak them in a bowl water and refrigerate till the time you are goi g to make the Chaat.This will help the vadas from breaking/ disintegrating.
5. Clean the potatoes, peel and par boil them.
CHEF TIP: I did not use ginger,capsicum for this green chutney. Instead used mint and cilantro leaves with green chillies ,onions and lemon.
7. Chop the Potato, add black salt/ regular salt and chaat masala and mix well.
8. Now, it's time to assamble our Chaat. Firstly arrange 3 to 4 papri in each plate. You can even crush them roughly . Then,squeeze the vadas from the chilled water. I added 4 bhallas in one plate, but you can add howmuch ever you want. You can even tear the bhallas.
9. Add the poatoes on top.
10. Next comes the curd.
CHEF TIP: whisk the curd well with a metal whisk. Add sugar( desired sweet ess) and whisk again. You can aboud the sweet if you do not like it.
11. Spread the green chutney and drizzle the Saunth. Sprinkle Chaat masala.
Garnish with dressing Sev and finely chopped cilantro (optional),serve it to your family, friends or guests..be ready to win over so many hearts!!!!
I am sure you are going to try it soon!
Do keep me posted !!!