As my family loves Paruppussli, I wanted to try making Ussli with whole grains. Black Eyed Peas was my first choice. The test was successful and got full approval from my food critic family. Proudly sharing this recipe with you all today. Black eyed peas gives a whole new dimension to this dish.
A great way to add proteins to your kid's diet!!!
I did not add any vegetables as I wanted to experience this new taste. But planning to add veggies next time. The method of preparation is the same as the traditional Paruppussli. The only difference is the change in the main ingredient- the black eyed peas!!!
I have blogged in detail about the traditional Paruppussli with Step By Step pictures. Do refer . Here is the link http://masterchefmom.blogspot.com/2015/05/beans-paruppussli-timeless-recipe-from.html
1. Black eyed peas - 1/ 2 cup
2. Dry Red chillies-3 to 4 ( depends on the variety of chilli that you use)
3. Salt to taste
4.Sesame oil or any other oil- 2 tbsp
6.Mustard seeds, husked black gram,asafoetida for tempering.
7.Turmeric powder- a pinch
1. Soak the black eyed peas overnight or for atleast 5 hours along with the dry red chillies.
2. Drain the water completely and grind the Peas along with the red chillies to a coarse paste consistency. Add a tbsp of water if required during grinding.
3. Mix a tbsp of Sesame oil and salt with the ground paste and transfer it to a cooker friendly vessel.
4.Pressure cook to upto 4 sounds. Switch off. Allow it to cool completely.
5. Once cooled you can break the cooked paste with your hand to form a powder or can pulse it again in the mixer.
6. Heat a tbsp of Sesame oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and husked black gram. Once the mustard crackles, add the curry leaves ,asafoetida and the powder like Ussli.
7. Saute' for 5 to 7 minutes. This is upto to your taste ...as to the level of crunch you like.
Your Black Eyed Peas USSLI is ready!!
Serve with Hot Rice, Rasam and Appalam.
A healthy twist to the legendary PARUPPUSSLI!!!
Try this recipe and you are sure to bring more smiles!