I prefer Chaat items during summers as it involves less time in the kitchen. You can customise it according to your family's taste preference and contrary to the common belief, Chaat is healthy!!!!
Chaat has so many vegetables and when you make all the chutneys at home, it becomes even more tasty and healthy.
It is good to have yoghurt during summers and this recipe has plenty of it. The Urad dal( husked black gram lentil) provides the required protein and the greens used in the Chutney gives the required amount of vitamins. The sweet chutney has the dry mango powder which has a cooling effect on the body.
Get all ingredients ready and it is a breeze to make restaurant like Chaat a home.
So, let us get started.
Dahi Bhalla | Delhi Style Chaat | Indian Street Food
Preparation time: 3 hours
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6
1.Urad dal ( Husked black gram)- 1 cup
2.fenugreek -1/2 tsp( Fenugreek is a cooling ingredient and has other health benefits)
3.Oil for frying ( I used sunflower oil)
6. Sweetened yoghurt
7. Dressing Sev
8. Potatoes-4 small
9. Black salt- according to your taste
10. Chaat masala- according to taste.
1. Soak the Urad dal with fenugreek for 2 to 3 hours in water.
2. Drain the water and grind the dal in a mixer/ grinder until it is light and fluffy.Add salt. use minimum water to grind so that it is thick at the same time very light.
CHEF TIP: 1.You should not feel any weight when you lift the vessel with the ground batter.
2. Make your Bhallas/Vada( dumplings) immediately after grinding.
3. In a wok/ pan ,heat oil. When the oil is hot, make small ball shape of the dough using your hand or spoon ,dunk and fry it in oil till golden brown.
CHEF TIP: 1.Right temperature of oil is the key to get perfect vadas/bhallas with less oil absorption. When the oil is hot, just test the temperature by frying a small piece of batter. If it sizzles the minute you drop it in oil, it indicates that the oil is right for frying.
2. Fry in medium flame.
4.when the vada/Bhalla is still warm, soak them in a bowl water and refrigerate till the time you are goi g to make the Chaat.This will help the vadas from breaking/ disintegrating.
5. Clean the potatoes, peel and par boil them.
6. While the poatoes are boiling prepare your Saunth and green chutney.
CHEF TIP: I did not use ginger,capsicum for this green chutney. Instead used mint and cilantro leaves with green chillies ,onions and lemon.
7. Chop the Potato, add black salt/ regular salt and chaat masala and mix well.
8. Now, it's time to assamble our Chaat. Firstly squeeze the vadas from the chilled water. I added 4 bhallas in one plate, but you can add howmuch ever you want. You can even tear the bhallas.
9. Add the poatoes on top.
10. Next comes the curd.
CHEF TIP: whisk the curd well with a metal whisk. Add sugar( desired sweet ess) and whisk again. You can aboud the sweet if you do not like it.
11. Spread the green chutney and drizzle the Saunth. Sprinkle Chaat masala.Garnish with dressing Sev and finely chopped cilantro (optional),serve it to your family, friends or guests..be ready to win over so many hearts!!!!
I have replicated the Haldiram style of Dahi Bhalla. So this recipe is an authentic Street food recipe from Delhi.
Do try and you are going to thank me for this!!!