This is one of the most popular Street Food of India.I am sure it is your favourite too Supermoms..yum!
I make this Chaat regularly at home. Each time I make, I add something new to it. So, there are plenty of ways to make the Pani.
As it is summers, I choose to use fresh raw mangoes,cilantro and mint leaves with Indian spices.
It is so tangy,spicy and this Pani(water) helps in cooling and digestion of our body.
The puris are made using whole wheat, popularly known as ' Atta puri'and with semolina known in the Northern India as 'Sooji puri'. If you happen to visit any Panipuriwala in Delhi / NCR , the first thing he will ask you is " sooji yaa aata?"( Wheat or semolina?)
You can make the puris at home. But today I have used the store bought puri.
Panipuri |Golgappa| Puchka | Gupshup :
Preparation time : 40 minutes
Makes :30 golgappas
Raw mango - 1( makes -1/4 cup pulp)
Cilantro leaves- 1/2 cup
Mint leaves- 1 cup
Green chillies-4( adjust according to taste), you can use 3 green chillies and one red chiili.
Black salt to taste
Dry ginger powder- 1 tsp
Black pepper powder-1/8 tsp
Chaat Masala powder-1 tsp( add more if you like)
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Boiled and cubed potatoes- 3
Sweet chutney / saunth/tamarind chutney is optional.
Boondi for garnish.
1. Boil the mango and scoop out the pulp.
2. In a food processor add this pulp, jaggery, cilantro,mint,chillies and make a puree. Add 50 ml of water and process again.
3. Now, pour this mixture in a tall jar or a wide mouthed vessel/ pot and add all the mentioned dry spices including salt.Mix well.
4. Finally dilute the puree with a litre of water( adjust according to your taste) and add the lemon juice.
5. Taste the Pani and adjust the spice,salt and dilution. Your instinct is the key.
6. Pani tastes best when had chilled. So,if you are going to have it for evening, it is a good idea to prepare Pani in the morning.
How to enjoy this Chaat?
1. You will see that one side of the puri is thinner than the other side, so make a small hole on that side.
2. Fill the puris with Boiled potato. I mix salt and Chaat masala to the potatoes. Instead of potatoes,you can use boiled chick peas or yellow peas/ sprouts too. It is convenient if you prepare a plate with the potato stuffed puris before hand. If you like, you can add the thick sweet sauce( 1/2 tsp) in each puri.
3.Five minutes before serving, remove the Pani jug from the refrigerator, add boondi and ice cubes.
4. Give a small cup/ dhonna to each of your family member.
5. Pour the pani into the puri ,till it overflows.
6. Do not try to bite it...just dunk it into your mouth.
See, as I told you, the water or pani is so healthy!!! Also, no need to make two differnt pani as both the Khatta(sour)and Meeta(sweet) pani is mixed into one.
I always ask for an extra cup of the pani alone...i'm sure you do that too!!!
Do try and you are sure to bring more smiles!