Drumstick leaves is IRON RICH and is full of nutrients . But the bitter taste makes it unfriendly to children. In this recipe, I have tried to make the Curry flavourful and it completely hides the bitterness.
The time consuming part of the recipe is getting the leaves ready for cooking !!!! As it has so much of goodness,it is worth the effort!
Murungai Keerai Poriyal :
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
1. Drumstick leaves- 2 cups
2. Sugar-1 tsp
3. Salt to taste
For Spice Powder:
1. Oil-1/2 tsp(optional)
2. Red chillies-2-3( adjust)
3.Husked black gram/Urad dal -1 tsp
4. Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
5.Fresh coconut pieces / Grated coconut -1/2 cup
2.Bengal Gram/ Channa dal-1/4 tsp
3.Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
1. Carefully remove the leaves from the stem. Do it patiently. You have to cook only the leaves.
2. Wash the leaves well and finely chop them.
3. Roast the ingredients for the Spice powder ,add the coconut and grind it to a powder.
4.In a pan, heat oil and add the ingredients mentioned for tempering. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the chopped leaves. Add sugar and a tbsp of water. Add salt.
5. Add the ground spice and mix well. Drumstick leaves cook very fast. You can see the colour changing and the water has also evaporated.
You can enjoy this Curry along with Rice and Rasam.
1. The leaves will not become mushy like other greens. So chop it fine.
2. If you refrigerate the drumstick leaves for a day and then try removing the leaves, it is much more easy.
3. Prepare the leaves a day before you cook. It makes cooking easier.