This drink needs no introduction if you are from India. It is one of the most popular appetisers in the Indian cuisine. Filled with digestive prooerties, this drink also helps in cooling our system during the harsh summer months.
'Jal Jeera' is a hindi word and the literal translation means 'Cumin water'. But there is more to this traditional drink.
I have omitted tamarind in this recipe as I do not like the smell of raw tamarind . I have used fresh raw mango as it is a healthier option . So the sourness in my drink comes from the raw mango. Also, raw mango is a coolent.
You can see street vendors in North India selling this drink. The juice is stored in Matka or large earthern pot as it keeps the drink cool. It is garnished with fresh mint leaves and Boondi ( fried gram flour balls). I had made Jal Jeera last week and I served it along with Dum Biriyani. It was heavenly!!!
1. Raw mango -1 ( remove skin and chop the flesh)
2. Roasted cumin seeds-1 1/2 tsp or R.Cumin powder- 1 tsp ( add more if you like)
3.Green Chilli -1
4.Pudina leaves- 15 to 20 leavea
5.Ginger- a small piece ( optional)
6. Black pepper- 4-5
7. Black Salt to taste
8.Boondi for garnish
1. In a mixer/ food processor add all the ingredients except boondi and process to make a fine paste.
2. You can add a litre of water to it. Add Black Salt. Filtering is an optional step if you want clear juice. I did not filter.
3. Refrigerate the Jal Jeera for an hour.
4. Garnish with Boondi and serve.
1.If raw mango is not in season, then substitute it with lemon size tamarind or you can use a tbsp of tamarind pulp.
2. You can flavour the juice with Black Cardamom and fennel seeds.