Sunday Menu at my place is usually One Pot Meals. As I had skipped my weekly vegetable shopping, my fridge had very few vegetables.
Wanted to make a flavourful Biryani with minimum ingredients( sounds crazy?) and this Kongunadu Special Biryani recipe by Chandra Padmanabhan came to my mind.
For those who have not heard about Kongunadu...It is the area around Erode, Salem and Coimbatore. It is located in the North west of TamilNadu. The Kongunadu Cuisine is neither too spicy or oily but full of flavours.
Kongunadu Special Pattani Biryani
Preparation time : 45 minutes
Cooking time :40 minutes
Measurement : 1 Cup = 200ml cup
Serves : 4
Special Equipment/Vessel: A heavy bottom pan with lid,tawa
2 Cups Raw Basmati Rice
2 tablespoons Oil
3-4 Green cardamoms
1" stick Cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
15 Shallots (peeled and kept whole)
2 teaspoonsGinger garlic paste
5-6 Green Chillies( slit lengthwise)
2 Tomatoes -finely chopped
1/2 Cup Finely chopped Mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 &1/2 Cup Green Peas (Shelled)
2 teaspoons Lime juice
Salt to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Ready all the ingredients. It becomes even more easier to cook.
2.Wash rice and soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set it aside.
3.Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan over moderate heat. Add bay leaves,cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and fennel seeds. Saute' for a minute.
4. Add Shallots and fry for about 5 minutes till golden. Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring continously.
5.Blend in tomatoes. Add turmeric ,Salt and fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add mint leaves and fry for 1 minute.
7. Stir in the green peas and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
8. Mix in the drained rice and cook uncovered over low heat for 10-15 minutes till water is almost absorbed.
9. Cover the pan tightly and place on a tawa over low heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes till water is absorbed and rice is tender and fluffy. ( I have shown two ways of covering the pan).
10. Mix lime juice and coriander leaves and serve hot with Masala raita / curd and Pappad.
Simple, delicious and full of Kongunadu flavours!!!! Yum!!!