The Mangai Moru Sambar is a tasty,tangy and a delicious curry that is a perfect accompaniment for rice,rotis and also Dosas/ savoury pancakes.
It is different from the regular sambar recipe that makes it extra special and tasty. Liked by all at my place,this recipe is a 'Must Try' especially when raw mangoes are available or in season!
Raw mango is hailed for it's cooling properties,so it is all the more important to add it in our regular diet.
Recipe adapted from Simply South by Chandra Padmanabhan.
Mangai Moru Sambar/Mango Curd Curry :
Preparation time :20 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
1. Pigeon peas( tuvar/arhar dal) -1/4 cup
2.Grated fresh coconut -1/2 cup
3. Raw mango ( chopped) -3/4 cup
4.Tomato - finely chopped -1
5.Fresh curd - 1/2 cup
6. Salt to taste
1. Oil - 2 tsp
2.Dried Red Chillies -2
3.Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
4.Fenugreek seeds - 1/ 2 tsp
5.Small green chillies -4
6.Roasted Bengal Gram (Chutney dal/ Pottu Kadalai) - 1 tbsp
7.Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp
1.Oil - 2 tsp
2.Mustard seeds -1 tsp
3.Asafoetida powder ( hing)- 1/2 tsp
4. Curry leaves -1 sprig
1. Wash dal and drain. Place dal in a pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water and cook upto 3 whistles.
2.Mix grated coconut with 1/2 cup hot water. Process for 1-2 minutes in a blender. Pour liquid through the strainer lined with muslin cloth and press out the coconut milk.
3.Heat oil for spice paste in a frying pan. Add red chillies,coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds. Fry over low heat,tossing gently,till fragrant. Combine with remaining ingredients for spice paste and grind to a coarse consistency,gradually adding 1/4 cup water.
All ingredients are ready !
4. In a wide pan, add oil and temper. Transfer the cooked dal to a pan,add 1/2 cup water and whisk. Mix in mango,tomato and salt. Place pan over low heat and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes,stirring occasionally till well blended. Remove from heat and add curd and coconut milk. Mix well.
Your Mangai Moru Sambar is ready !!!!
Serve hot with Rice / Rotis /Dosas/ Pancakes.
I served it along with Rice, Drumstick Leaves Curry(MurungaiKeerai poriyal)and
1. If you do not have fresh coconut, you can use 2 spoons of coconut milk powder. Add the milk powder to hot water,mix well before you add it to the sambar.
2. Whisk the curd before you add it to the sambar.
3 .Adjust the salt according to the sourness of mango.