While Zucchini is becoming increasing popular around the globe,there is another unsung hero with equally amazing taste. It is called Kali Tori in Hindi, Smooth Gourd/ luffa in English. In appearence, it looks like the ridge gourd with darker skin and without the ridges. You can use the same recipe to make ridge gourd chutney also.
Soft with tender seeds inside, it hardly takes time to cook.
The best way to eat this awesome vegetable is making a Chutney or Sauce. It takes great with hot rice or with all tiffin items.
Tori Chutney | Tori Thuvaiyal | Peerkangai Thogayal :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1. Kali Tori - 4 numbers ( peel the skin and cut it into roundels)
2. Broken husked black gram/ Urad - 1 tablespoon
3.Red chillies-4 to 5 ( adjust)
4.Salt to taste.
5. Oil-1 tsp
6. Marble size ball of tamarind or thick tamarind paste-1 tsp
1. In a pan, heat a tsp of oil. Roast the Urad and red chillies. Allow it to cool and transfer it to a mixer/processor.
2. In the same pan, add the cut Kali Tori and fry it so that the excess water evaporates. You can see the colour of the vegetable changing. Switch off. Since the vegetable is so tender, it cooks within few minutes.
3. Transfer this to the mixer ,add salt ,tamarind paste and process it to make a fine paste. Do not add water.
Your vegetable sauce is ready!!! Even fussy vegetable eaters will love this chutney / sauce. Add melted Ghee on top of the rice and enjoy it with this Sauce.
1. You can substitute Ridge gourd, zucchini or English cucumber instead of Kali Tori.
2. Adjust the quantity of tamarind and chillies according to your taste.
3. No tempering required for this Chutney/ Sauce.
4. It keeps for good upto 2 days in refrigerator.
You might also like Malli Thokku