Pancakes are so easy,handy and tasty snacks for children. Pancakes for School is a great idea and if you are going add fruits ,then it becomes more healthy.
I always like to keep my recipes simple.I made these pancakes with farm fresh Bananas and did not use baking powder or yeast.
The best part of the recipe is the 'Surprise'.
As I expected, the lunch box came home empty ! What made me smile was her loving demand that I make some more as desserts for dinner.
I obliged as this dish is made up of few ingredients with preparation time of just 5 minutes !!!!
Whole Wheat Banana Pancake with a surprise :
Serves -2( makes 4 small pancakes)
Preparation time :5 mins
Cooking time :12 to 15 minutes
1 cup= 250 ml
1. Banana -3 ( I used the smaller variety )
2.Whole wheat Flour -1/2 cup
3.Milk -1/2 cup
4.Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
5.Sugar / Brown sugar / Honey - 1 tbsp
6. Water - if required to adjust consistency
7. Chocolate pieces -10 ( small pieces)( optional)
8. Clarified Butter / Ghee -1 tbsp
1. Mash the bananas.
2. Add the Wheat Flour.
3. Now add the sugar,milk and make a batter without any lumps. The batter needs to be loose but slushy. Add few tbps of water if it is too thick.
4 .Heat a small pan and brush with ghee. Pour a ladle of batter in the centre of the pan. Just touch on the top with the backside of the ladle so that it spreads . Do not press.
5. Now if you want to surprise your loved one, add few chunks of chocolate . Add little ghee to the pancake and close the lid for a minute . Open and cook for another minute.You can see bubbles on the pancake. Flip the pancake so that the other side cooks.
6. Remember to cook in low flame. Cook for one minute more and remove the pancake with a ladle.
7. If you are going pack them for tiffin box, then cool them in a rack for atleast 5 minutes so that it will not turn soggy . I quartered them before packing as it is easier to eat in school.
8. Ofcourse, serve it steaming hot with Vanilla Icecream if you are serving these as desserts !!!! Delicious either way!
What an yummilicious dish!!! I enjoyed cooking these pancakes and I am sure you will love making them too.
Chef Tips :
1. Using Honey or sugar is absolutely your choice. The banana variety I used is called 'Karpurravalli' , which is a sweet variety of Banana. If you are using a lesser sweet variety, adjust the sugar quantity.
2. Consistency of the batter is the key to making any pancake. This comes with practise. So keep practising.
3.You can try pancakes with other fruits too.
4. The pan has to be 'hot 'when you pour the batter.
5.Clarified Butter and Wheat are match made in heaven, but if you like butter more, you can use them.