"The simplest of dishes are the tastiest "- Masterchefmom
I keep repeating this very often and every dish that I cook, strenghthens my belief .
As mushroom and corn have such unique textures and flavours, I thought of bringing them together. The protein content in mushroom and the fibre in corn, makes it a 'Superfood' for growing children.
If your kids love rice packed in their lunch boxes,then you must go for this rice atleast once a month.
Corn Mushroom Fried Rice :
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking time :20 minutes
A cup = 200 ml
1. Boiled Ćorn kernels - 1 cup
2. Sliced Mushrooms - 1 cup
3. Green Chillies -4 to 5 ( with just a slit)
4.Onion - 1 large - thinly sliced
5.Ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
6. Basmati rice -2 cups
7. Water - 2 cups
1. Bay leaves -2
2.Star Anise -1
3. Badi Elaichi/ Black Cardamom -1
4. Green cardamom -1
5. Cinnamon - 2 cm stick
6.Chilli powder - 1 tsp ( adjust)
7. Dhania powder / Coriander powder - 1 tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Ghee/ Clarified Butter - 3 tbsp
10. Chopped Cilantro leaves for garnish ( optional)
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water with the flavouring spices ( except salt,chilli and dhania powder) for 15 minutes and cook till just done. Do not over cook.
2. In a heavy bottom wide pan or a deep and wide wok, heat ghee.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and mix with ghee for 30 seconds. Add the onions green chillies and cook till translucent. You can add salt so that they do not burn.
4. Now add the mushroom and let it cook on medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Mushroom cooks fast.
5. Once mushrooms are done add boiled corn,chilli powder, dhania powder and mix well. Let it cook for another 2 minutes in low flame.
6. Switch off and add the cooked rice.
7. Mix well. Once you have mixed well, switch on the flame and fry the rice in high flame continously stirring it for 5 to 7 minutes.
8. You can see that the rice has become glossy.
9. Garnish and serve hot with Raita and pappadom.
Healthy,tasty and yummy!!!!
1. Do not overcook the rice or the corn. The corn needs to be juicy. The best trick is to add half cup of water to the corn and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
2.Mushrooms taste best when they are fresh. So make sure to cook them on the day you have picked them up or latest by next day.
3. You can add a tsp of garam masala powder for added flavour. I do it sometimes and it tastes very good.
4. Adding turmeric is optional. You can add 1/4 tsp to the vegetables.
5. The quantity of water to cook the Basmati Rice may vary with the the brand of rice .