Today's recipe is close to my heart as I just love Fusion food. I have created an Indo -Latin American recipe that is so tasty. Though I make both sweet and savoury versions,this is one of the many savoury versions of the Empanadas and Gallettes .
To be frank with you, I made this as a quick evening snack for my family. It took less than 30 minutes to bake this dish from start to finish.
Though I baked these yummies, you can always deep fry them. They will taste equally good. If you have experience of making the Indian Samosa or South Indian Somasi, making these is going to be a breeze. Even if you have never tried anything like this before, I recommend you to give it a try!!!
Empanadas and Galletes :
Serves : 2-4
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Baking Time:20 minutes
1. Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
2.Butter/ Clarified Butter ( use chilled butter) - 1 tbsp
3.Salt - 1/2 tsp
4.Ice cold water - 1/4 cup water ( adjust)
5.Baking powder-1/4 tsp
1. Tomato puree( thick)- 2 to 3 tbsp
2. Paneer / Cottage Cheese- 200 gms ( cubed)
3.Bell peppers- thinly sliced( 1)
4.Salt and spices according to your taste.
5. Oil-1 tsp
1.Mint leaves- finely chopped
2. Melted Salted Butter - 2 tbsp( you can adjust quantity/ replace with Ghee)
1. Mix Flour,Baking powder,salt in a bowl . Add the grated cold butter and mix well with your hand .You will get a grainy texture.
I chopped the butter and added them .
2. Mix water,little at a time and make a soft,smooth dough without cracks. The dough will not stick to your hand.
Is'nt the pastry dough gorgeous!!!!
3. Make your filling. In a pan, heat a tsp of oil. I added some Italian herbs and grated garlic( you can omit it). Add the tomato puree. Let it cook for a minute. You can see oil in the sides. Time to add the cubed Paneer and the bell peppers. Add salt,spices of your choice. Let them cook in high for 2 minutes so that the water released from the Paneer dries up. Switch off.
4. Divide the dough equally into smaller portions, roll each into a rough circle and place the filling in the centre for Gallette and towards one side for Empanadas.
5. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes. You can do this, while you are shaping the Empanadas. You can use a foil to line the baking tray. Grease with oil/ butter.
6. Fold the Empanadas and make small holes using a fork.
7. Bake them at 160 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. You can see them browned.
8. While they bake, add the chopped mint leaves to butter and heat in the microwave for 40 seconds.
9. Once out of Oven, Brush the empanadas and Gallettes with this Mint mixture while they are hot.
Serve hot. They can be packed for Lunch Box too. Just make sure to cool them in a rack before you pack!
1. Instead of baking ,you can fry them.
2. I used Wheat Flour as it is a healthier option.
3. Incase you are using Clarified Butter, add little at a time while incorporating it into the dough.
4. You can make filling of your choice- shall keep you updated with the various filling options.
5.Baking time might vary a little as each of us use different Ovens. So stay close to the oven when you bake.
6.You can add the mint in the filling,incase you are going to deepfry. You can skip the brushing part.
7.Adding Ice cold water is highly recommended.