Saturday, July 11, 2015

Molakeerai Poritha Kuzhambu | Keerai Masiyal | Keerai Kadayal | How tomake Molakeerai Poritha Kuzhambu

                       


Hi Supermoms,

I am often asked whether I cook specially to put it up in the blog. The answer is ' NO'. I to share the normal everyday recipes that I cook . I take about five minutes to click pictures as I do not want to keep my family waiting as  I click just before our family meal time. No fancy props or camera.Ofcourse, no budget for that!!!! Let me also share that I click pictures with my phone. 
 So, I may not be convincing you all to cook  with perfect'pictures but trust me, I blog only such recipes that I am convinced about in taste and is completely certified 'Delicious' by my food critic family.
 My effort is always to present healthy food that is tasty. So alÅ‚ my recipes are tried and tested innumerable times by friends and family.


                   

Yes, now to this dish....apart from the fact that this is a dish that I cook atleast once a week, there is another special thing. In Delhi, Palak leaves are available in plenty so I make this dish usually with Palak leaves. It so happened that I picked up fresh...really fresh bunch of Molakeerai and Araikeerai from Rama Market after LOOOOOng time and was so thrilled to make the Molakeerai Poritha Kuzhambu! 

                    


Molakeerai Poritha Kuzhambu/Amaranth with lentils:
Serves:4-6
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes

Ingredients :

Pressure cooker :

1. Husked Greengram/Moongdal( wash twice ) -1/2 cup
2. Molakeerai/ Any amaranth available - cleaned,chopped finely - 4-5 cups
3.Onion - 1 - large - roughly chopped
4.Tomato - 1 - large - roughly chopped
5. Garlic pods -2 to 3 ( optional)
6. Water - 3 cups

Roast and Ground spice paste:

1. Husked  black gram/ Urad dal - 2 tsp
2. Dry Red Chilli -1 ( adjust depending on the variety of chill used, I used Guntur Chillies)
3.Black pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
4.Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
5.Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
6.Fresh coconut -4-5 tbsp ( no need to roast,just grind it along with other ingredients to make a smooth paste )
7. Oil for roasting - 1/2 tsp( I used gingelly oil)

Tempering :
1.Ghee/ Clarified Butter - 1 tsp
2.Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
3.Dry red chilli -1

METHOD :

1. In a pressure cooker,add all the ingredients given under the ingredient section and pressure cook in medium flame upto 5 whistles. After 3 whistles, cook in low heat for 2 whistles and switch off.

                           

2. In half tsp of oil, roast the ingredients  given to make spice paste except coconut and grind it smooth.
3. Open the cooker and using a wooden hand blender(Mathu) churn to blend the dal and Amaranth. Here you can use an electric blender. But make sure not to run it longer and make a smooth paste. This will change the texture of the kuzhambu and it can become  become sticky. 


                        

4. Place the pan back on the stove and add the salt and spice paste. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off.

5.In a small pan or a medium size iron ladle, heat ghee and add the mustard seeds and the red chilli. When the mustard seeds splutter, pour it into the kuzhambu.

Your fragrant,healthy and tasty Molakeerai Poritha kuzhambu is ready to be served with steaming hot rice !!



                      

Chef Tips :

1. I recommend you to use the ' Mathu' which is traditionally used in India. I still use it and nothing comes closer to it in giving the perfect final texture. So go for it!
2. When you temper always add the mustard seeds in oil/ ghee when it is hot. 
3.You can add 1/4 cup water to grind the spice paste.
4.The dal should not turn black, it should be golden and the chillies just turn fragrant. This brings out the right taste.
5. Incase you find the kuzhambu watery, then you can mix a tsp of rice flour in a tbsp of water and add it to the kuzhambu. Simmer for 3 minutes and see the magic .

Happy Cooking!

With love,

Masterchefmom








No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...