Focaccia is a bread that every baker would love to experiment with. It is an easy bake without much effort and is absolutely delicious !
I love to experiment and as I am writing this recipe, I feel so glad to share that I now bake my own invented Indian Focaccia with all natural ingredients !!!! But, this bread was so light and flavourful that I did not want to miss sharing this recipe with you all.
I have already shared a Cheesy version with loaded vegetables earlier. The difference in this recipe is that I baked it with Whole Wheat Flour with the goodness of Fibre.
Whole Wheat Focaccia with Herbs and Olives
Preparation time: 3 hours
Baking time : 20 - 25 minutes
Cooling time : 15 minutes
1.Whole Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup ( 100 ml)
2.Boiled and mashed potato -1
3.Instant yeast -1 tsp
4.Salt-1/4 tsp( if using sea salt,you can add a pinch more)
5.Sugar -1 tsp
6. Warm water - 50 ml ( adjust )
7. Olive Oil/ Clarified Butter -2 tbsp
8.Pitted Olives -15 to 20
9. Thinly sliced Onions -1 large
10. Herbs - Fresh or Dry ( I used Roughly chopped fresh Cilantro)
11.Chilli Flakes/ Fresh Chopped Chillies - adjust to taste.
1. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients : Whole wheat flour, salt, sugar,yeast and mix using a fork.
2. Now add warm water and mashed potato. Start to knead them together. Add the Oil and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. This dough does not need too much kneading. The dough has to be sticky. Add drops of water while you knead if the dough is dry.
3. Grease a large bowl and transfer the dough. Rest the dough by cling wrapping or by covering it with a damp cloth. Let it rest for one and half hours ( 1 1/2 hours) in a warm dry place.
4. You will see that the dough has beautifully risen. It will be double it's size. Now grease a baking pan. Lightly punch the dough and transfer it to this pan.
5. Make few indents on the dough and place the olives ,onions ,chillies and herbs on top. You can drizzle Olive oil/ Clarified butter on top.
6. Let it rest in a dry/ warm place for the second rise. Rest it for another 45 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C.
8. Bake at 160 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove after 20 minutes to check whether done y tapping the bottom of the baking pan. The pan willbe lighter and you will hear a hollow sound.
9. You can brush some Oil/ Butter/ Ghee on top and bake or another 5 minutes for that extra crunch and browning.
10. Cool it in a rack ,slice and enjoy them warm with your soup.
It can't get better !!!!
1. If you are new to baking, do bake with All Purpose Flour( Maida) for the first time to understand how it works.
2. Whole wheat Flour dough needs to be loose. If it is dry or less moist, the bread will become hard.
3. Do not omit Potatoes, it softens the bread. You can also add Flax seed powder ( 1 tbsp) with 3 tbsps of warm water for more softness.
4. Adjust water quantity according to the type of whole wheat flour you are using. I used just half cup of flour,but the quantity doubled.
5. Whole Wheat flour takes longer time to rise than the All purpose flour.
6. Use a good brand of yeast and check the expiry date.
7. The water HAS TO BE WARM for the yeast to be activated. Dip your finger in the water and count upto 5. If you are able to bear till 4 only, then the water is right.
8. Practise,practise and practise !!!!