I make Vegetable Rolls and Fatayers frequently. It is so much loved by all and gets full votes for repeats. Last week when I made them, I had decided that I would share this tasty and healthy recipe with you all.
The entire process of making these rolls was so plesant and I was so glad that it turned out to be an interesting family activity !
The eldest and the youngest generation in my family were so thrilled and enthusiastic in lending their hands in shaping the rolls.... The result was so good ...I had baked a fish shaped roll, fatayers ( triangle shaped ) , momos shaped rolls and open rolls. Every one waited for me to take quick pictures and it was all devoured within minutes. It was finger licking good!!!
You can bake a little extra to send for your kiddo's tiffin box or you can bake them as starters for your parties or bake them for tea time ! Any which ways, they are going to be a great tasting snack!!!
Potato Rolls and Fatayers:
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time :15 to 20 minutes
Measurement : 1 Cup = 250 ml
Equipment required : Steamer to boil potatoes .
For the dough:
1. All Purpose Flour/ Maida -1 cup
2. Instant Yeast -1/4 teaspoon
3.Kasoori Methi leaves( dry fenugreek leaves) -1 teaspoon
4.Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5. Garlic powder -1/4 teaspoon ( optional)
6. Salt to taste
7. Sugar - a pinch
8. Water -1/2 cup ( add little by little)
9. Ghee/ Clarified Butter - 1 tablespoon
For the potato filling :
1. Peeled and cubed boiled potatoes- 1 ( large) or 2 medium size
2. Boiled Peas - 1/2 cup
3. Finely Chopped Onions -1
4. Chilli powder -1/4 teaspoon
5. Coriander powder -1/2 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
7. Garam masala powder/ Kitchen King powder -1/4 teaspoon
8. Finely Chopped Cilantro - to taste
9. Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
10. Roughly Chopped Green Chillies - adjust to taste ( I added 2 numbers)
11. Refined Oil - 1 teaspoon
12. Tamarind Chutney - 2 teaspoons ( optional) or juice of half a lemon
1. In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, spices and mix well using a fork. Add two teaspoons of Ghee.
2. Use warm water to knead the dough. When using yeast, the temperature of water is very important. A tip to check the right temperature is to dip your finger into the warm water and count upto 5. If the maximum you can dip is the number 5 then your water is just right. If you are able to dip longer, then it means that you need to heat the water just a little more.
Knead for 5 minutes and you will get a soft dough. If the dough is sticky, add little extra flour. Grease a bowl with oil or ghee and place the dough in it.
3. Cover with a cling film and allow it to rise for about one hour.
4. While the dough rises, let us prepare the filling. In a pan, heat oil . Add the ginger garlic paste, chopped onions, green chillies. Add salt and turmeric so that the onions do not burn.
5. Add the peas and mix well.
6. Add the boiled potatoes.
7. Mix well and roughly mash them with the ladle. Add the spices and cook for just a few minutes. Switch off and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
8. I added 2 teaspoons of my favourite homemade tamarind chutney for that extra tang . You can see that the dough has well risen and the filling is ready...now for the fun part !!!
9. Gently punch the dough divide the dough into smaller parts . Dust the work surface with flour and Using light hands roll the dough into a larger rectangle or circle of 1/2 inch thickness. We are going to shape the Fatayer.
10. Using Cookie cutter or bottle caps/ small plates, cut the dough into smaller circles. Place the filling in the centre.
11. Fold the corners of the circle upto the centre like this.
12. Now, bring the open part of the dough to the centre and pinch to bind them as shown in the picture.
13. This is when my family joined me to shape the dough. My daughter wanted me to make a fish shaped roll. So made it this way !!! She wanted me to mention that this picture has been taken by her!!
14. Look at the different shapes. Arrange them in a greased tray. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes .
15. Bake the rolls and fatayers for 15 to 29 minutes or till the time they are beautifully browned. You can vrush the top with butter/ ghee. It will add to the taste.
Serve hot with Tomato Sauce or enjoy them just like that!!!! Yummmmmm!!!!
1. You can make filling of your choice.
2. Adding nuts will add to the crunch in the filling.
3. When you boil potato, make sure not to boil them in too much water to avoid complete mashing of the potato.
4. You can bake these rolls using Whole wheat flour too.
5. I have used Clarified butter, but you can use unsalted butter.
6. Using Olive Oil is again an option for weight watchers.
7.If you do not have tamarind chutney, add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
8. If your tamarind chutney is too thick, then dilute it with a tablespoon of warm water.
9.If you are planning to send it for tiffin box, then it is a good idea to knead the dough at night. you can allow it to slow rise in the refrigerator. you can also make the filling and refrigerate.