My children are crazy about Pasta and I keep creating new recipes every time I make Pasta at home. Last few times, I have been creating dessert recipes. Yes, you heard it right and they taste simply awesome!
I wanted a simple yet flavourful Pasta dessert. A dessert that is less time consuming with minimum ingredients.
I had picked up DelMonte Penne Pasta from the Supermarket and was super excited to try a dessert with Red Plums which are in season right now . Literal translation of 'Prune Rouge Penne Tarte' is 'Red Plum Penne Tart'.
I also wanted to give a healthy twist to the tart and so tossed the Pasta in coconut milk. Yummm...Coconut milk with cardamom and nutmeg blended with organic brown sugar...I just could'nt stop licking the pan !!! Oh , did I tell you that I have used roasted almonds and Chirongi in the tart?
A beautiful looking and great tasting healthy Pasta recipe that will take less an hour to prepare !
Prune Rouge Penne Tart | Red Plum Penne Tart :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time :40 minutes
Serves : 2
Measurement :1 cup= 250 ml
You will need a 6" tart pan to bake and a medium sized heavy bottom pan to cook the pasta.
1. Penne Rigate pasta - 2 cups
2.Coconut Milk -150 ml ( I used first pressed milk)
3.Corn Flour -1 teaspoon ( I used Organic Corn flour)
4.Almond flour / Almond meal - 2 tablespoon
5. Chirongi -2 tablespoon
6. Vanilla Essence - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Nutmeg powder -1/4 teaspoon
8. Brown Sugar / Cane Sugar - 1 cup
9. Red Plums - 6 large
10. Cinnamon Powder - 1 teaspoon
11. Icing Sugar -1 teaspoon ( for dusting)
12. Butter - 1 teaspoon
1. In a pot of boiling water, add the Del Monte pasta. Let it cook 'Al dente ' ( just done ) for 9 to 11 minutes. Add 1/4 tsp of sea salt or regular salt to prevent overcooking.
2. Drain the water and add a tsp of olive oil and toss the Penne so that it does not stick to each other. Set it aside.
3. Brush melted butter on the bottom and sides of the pan.
4. Layer almond flour and Chirongi . You can use chopped almonds too. You can substitute pine nuts if you do not have Chirongi. I add Chirongi in my bakes as it adds its nutty flavour without over powering the pasta.
5. Preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 5 minutes and toast the nuts for 5 minutes in the oven at the same temperature.
6. In a heavy bottom pan, add the remaining butter . When it starts to melt, add the cornflour.
7. Blend the cornflour with the butter using a ladle in low flame so that no lumps are formed. Switch off.
8. After a minute, add the coconut milk and stir well. Switch on the gas and cook in low flame for a minute.
9. Add the sugar, nutmeg and a vanilla essence. Keep stirring till the sugar dissolves. This will take 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add the Penne Rigate Pasta to the milk mixture and in the first boil switch off. Do make sure to taste this sauce now...you will simply fall in love with it ...and am sure you would love to serve your family just like that !
11. Pour the Pasta over the Nut Layer and tap once or twice so that it spreads evenly.
12. Cut the red plums lengthwise into thin slices.
13. Arrange the plums on top of the pasta. Sprinkle cinnamon powder and brown sugar on top of the plums.
14. In a preheated oven, bake the tart at 180 degrees C in the middle rack for 20 minutes.
Your Prune Rouge Penne Tarte is ready to be served hot to your guests who are sure to be floored by the richness of this dessert!
You might be wondering why I baked in a tart pan ?
The answer is simple, ' I love tart pans and they simply look stunning !' . I am sure you will agree.
And needless to say, the tart was polished off within minutes of me baking! But if you are baking for later, do serve the Pasta with a scoop of ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce. Divine !
Chef Tips :
1. Make sure to cook in low flame to avoid curdling of the coconut milk.
2. You can use readymade store bought coconut milk.
3. You can bake in any oven friendly dish .
4. You can use any seasonal fruit available. I would have loved cherries!
5. If you feel that the fruit is browning after few minutes of baking, cover the pan with foil and continue baking.
6. You can drizzle chocolate sauce instead of the icing sugar and serve .
Happy Cooking !
This original recipe of ' Prune Rouge Penne Tart' is an entry to Del Monte's #Italian Escapades Campaign.
You can check out their products and offers at Del Monte facebook page.