Sfouf is a Semolina Almond Lebanese Turmeric Cake. I baked this cake especially for my mother who was visiting me. I was extra careful to make it healthy free from refined sugar and refined flour.Also this is my version of the lebanese cake.
The original recipe calls for All Purpose flour and pine nuts. As I did not have pine nuts, I have used Chirongi which is much easily available in India. Also, I did not have Almond Essence, so substituted that with pitted prunes, rich in fibre. I have used Whole Wheat Flour which is again a healthier option.
The essence of cumin seeds ,cardamom and turmeric are the basic flavours in this cake which makes it unique.
A refreshing cake to bake as I have been indulging too much in Chocolates. Why should only Children have all the fun ?
SFOUF Lebanese Turmeric Cake :
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Baking Time : 20 minutes
Cooling Time :10 minutes
Storage : Upto 4 days when refrigerated
Cup = 200 ml
1. Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
2. Semolina/Rava - 1/4 cup
3. Baking Powder -1 tsp
4.Olive Oil -1/4 cup
5. Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
6.Prunes( pitted and chopped)- 10
7. Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
8. Chirongi seeds -1 tsp
9. Flax seeds, Sesame seeds -1 tsp put together for garnish
10. Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
11. Salt - a pinch
12. Cardamom ( powdered) -1/2 tsp
13. Milk -1/3 cup( adjust)
14. Almond Essence -1/2 tsp
1. Get all the ingredients ready accoring to their measurements.
2. Gently crush the cumin seeds to release flavour.
3. Dry roast the Chirongi .
4. In a bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix using a fork.
5. Add sugar and mix again.
6. Add milk, prunes and mix the batter using a fork or a rubber spatula. If the mixture is too thick add milk to make it little loose.
7. The batter will look like this. Do not over mix.
8. Grease a baking pan with olive oil and pour the batter. Tap it twice so that it spreads uniformly.
9. Sprinkle the flax ,sesame and cucumber seeds. Bake it in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for 20 -25 minutes or till the time a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. I placed the baking tray in the middle rack.
10. Is'nt it beautiful?
11. Wait for 5 minutes for the heat to come down and then gently invert the tray to remove the cake from the pan. Cool it in a rack for 10 minutes before you slice and serve over some hot tea!!!
An easy bake is'nt with such a stylish name !!! So serve in Style!
Chef Tips :
1. The baking time will differ depending upon the type of oven.
2. I have not used butter but feel free to use them if you are baking for children.
3. You can add grated coconut for added flavour.
4. You can also add fresh fruits instead of the canned ones.
5. Using dates ,raisins is again a healthy option.