Today I am sharing yet another fusion recipe from my kitchen. I had a packet of Amritsari Urad Wadi with me for a long time. I wanted to come up with a creative dish that I could incorporate in my everyday cooking,which is basically rice based dishes. I had made mixed vegetable rice and was thinking about a different raita to go along with it. And so was born ' WADI PACCHADI'.
Protein in Raita? Yes, it's possible ?
The dish was christened by @sudhagee and I really liked the name and it rhymes too! Thanks Sudha for the name. So, here is a Fusion Raita recipe with Amritsari Urad Wadi cooked in Dangar Pacchadi Styl
WADI Pacchadi | NORTH -SOUTH Fusion Recipe :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Storage : Upto 2 days when refrigerated.
1. Amritsari Urad Wadi - 2 to 3
2. Green Chillies -3 to 4
3.Salt to taste
4. Yoghurt / Curd ( whisked well) -1 cup ( 250 ml)
5. Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
6. Raita Masala / Chaat Masala - 1 /2 tsp
7. Water - 2 tbsps.
8. Sesame Oil or Vegetable Oil -1 tbsp
1. This is how Amritsari Urad Wadi looks like. In a pan add two cups of water and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the Wadis and let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes in medium flame. Switch off.
3. Drain the excess water and crumble the wadis. You can pop a small piece into your mouth to check whether it is cooked.
4. In a heavy bottom pan, add oil and temper with mustard seeds, finely chopped green chillies and curry leaves.
5. When mustard splutters, add the crumbled Wadis. Add the salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
6. Let it get crunchy . It will take atleast 10 to 15 minutes to brown completely. You can occassionally stir the mixture making sure that there is uniform browning. Also, you. An break the wadis with the ladle go make them into smaller pieces.
7. While the Wadis are getting all crunchy, you can prepare the whipped yoghurt mixture. Add the Raita Masala and whisk well.
8. Let the Wadi mixture cool completely. Now add it to the yoghurt and mix well. You can garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve.
A healthy, interesting Raita recipe is'nt it ?
1. While browing the Wadis you can add a tsp of oil for extra crunch.
2. You can also bake the wadis in the oven ,just drizzle the tempering on top of the Wadis( mix, salt and turmeric) in a baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for around 10 minutes. Remove, toss and bake again till you are satisfied with the browning.
3. You can try this recipe with other Wadis like Mung or Chickpea.
4. You can add finely chopped garlic, onions, tomatoes for extra taste.
5. I have used Store bought Wadis . But using home made Wadis are so much healthier option.