It was a special occasion at home, the anniversary of my dear inlaws and I wanted to bake a cake that is delicious and at the same time festive . The only problem I had was that I wanted to bake it as a surprise ....So the preparation and the baking had to be real quick.
Let me tell you that I was so happy that this cake that I baked with love turned out super moist,yummy and reminded everyone of Gulab jamun!!!
And it has just 4 main ingredients! The cake looked and tasted yummy!!!! A big slice for you all!
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
1 Cup =200 gms
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Fresh Crumbled Khoya/ Mawa
1/2 Cup Condensed Milk
( add extra if required)
1/4 Cup Ghee/ Clarified-Butter
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
1 tablespoon Tutty Fruitty( optional)
1 teaspoon Baking powder
A pinch of Baking Soda
1. In a bowl, whisk the khoya, ghee and condensed milk so that they are well blended.
2. Sieve Baking powder, Cardamom powder ,baking soda and the flour and add this mixture into the khoya mixture. Mix using a fork or fold using a spatula.
3. The batter will be smooth but little thicker than the regular cake batter. You can add few drops of milk or cream if you find the batter too thick. You can also add a teaspoon of condensd milk. The batter will look like this. It will not fall easily from the spoon if dropped.
4. Add your tutty fruit or nuts if you want and gently fold again. Grease your cake pan. It wanted to make a double decker. so greased two pans with ghee.
5. Divide the batter equally in both the pans and using the back of a spoon, level them. I usually tie the cake pan with a thick wet cotton cloth fitted to the size of the pan and fasten it with a safety pin. You can avoid this step if you are not comfortable.
6. In a preheated oven bake the cake at 160 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick at 20 minutes and check whether it comes out clean. Or else continue to bake and check every 5 minutes after that.
7. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before you seperate it.
8. I was in a hurry, so had to loosen the cake from the pan quicky...resulted in a few cracks...but as the cake was so moist I could press them back!
9. I spread two teaspoons of condensed milk on top of one cake and placed the other on top. I sprinkled icing sugar and sprinkles and my cake was ready !!!!
Cake baking is so much fun ,is'nt it? And the happiness when you see our loved ones enjoy the bake....priceless!!!
1.After the first 10 minutes of baking, you can cover the cake with foil to avoid too much of browning.
2. Instead of Ghee, you can add butter . Let the butter be in room temperature.
3. The batter will be a little thicker than the usual cake batter.
4. Since this is a delicate cake, I baked it in the middle rack and at 160 degrees.
5.If the batter is too dry, then adjust the condensed milk quantity. You can add milk/ cream to make the batter smooth.