Janmashtami Bakshanams/ Prashad is incomplete without a sweet dish made with Flatenned Rice/ Poha/ Aval.
Making dishes with Poha is quite easy and is less time consuming.
This Puttu recipe that I am sharing is an instant version that tastes absolutely delicious!!
Just 10 minutes and your Puttu is ready !! You need not wait for festivals or special occasions...just try it when you have 10 minutes !
Instant Aval Puttu :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
1 cup =250 ml
1 Cup Flatenned rice / poha / Aval ( the thinner variety)
1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Coconut
1/2 Cup jaggery
1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamom
2 teaspoon Ghee/ Clarified Butter
1/2 cup water
6 Cashewnuts for garnish
1. Coarsely powder the Poha/ Aval in a mixer.
2. Add the grated coconut ,cardamom powder and mix well using a fork. Keep it aside.
3. In a pan add the water and jaggery and let it come to a rolling boil.
4. Check the right consistency of jaggery syrup by dropping it in a bowl of water. If it forms a thick syrup and you are able to lift it , then just switch off the gas.
5. Now pour the syrup into the mixture and keep mixing using the fork till the entire jaggery syrup is well incorporated into the Poha - coconut mixture. You will get a crumbly texture.
6. Heat ghee in a small pan, roast the cashews and garnish the puttu.
Your instant Aval Puttu is ready for Prashad.
Chef Tips :
1. Add fresh coconut for this Puttu.
2. You can also add other dry fruits.
3.There is no necessary to soak the Aval in water. The heat of the jaggery cooks the Aval.
4. Use the thinner variety of Poha.
5. I use mudfree organic jaggery, so did not need to filter. You can do so if you find impurities in your jaggery.