These biscuits need no introduction. Every one of us would have tasted these biscuits sometime or the other and the flavour of cumin is so addictive that you cannot stop with just one biscuit.
It has a balance of sweet and salt and they are absolutely light biscuits.
A perfect tea time partner for all ages !!!
I often make these biscuits and they disappear so quickly!! After so many attempts, I found this combination tasty and 'Family approved' as the best recipe for 'Jeera Biscuits'.
Just 15 minutes of baking time and a handful of ingredients ...you get these crispy,melt in the mouth biscuits!
Try today and you will be amazed at how simple and enjoyable the whole process of baking and eating is!!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Yield : 35 small size biscuits
1 Cup= 200 ml
200 gms of All Purpose Flour/ Maida (1 cup + 1/4 cup)
100 gms of butter
60 gms powdered sugar( 1/4 cup approx)
1 tablespoon of Cumin Seeds/Jeera
3 tablespoons of milk (approximately)
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1. Lightly toast the Cumin seeds in a small pan or Iron ladle so that it releases it's flavour. Let it cool. Set it aside.
2. In a bowl add the flour,baking powder,baking soda ,powdered sugar,salt and mix well using a fork.
3. Now add the butter( in room temperature) and using your hand, mix well to incorporate it into the flour.
4. You will get a sand like crumbly texture.
5. Add the cumin seeds and mix again.
6. Add milk and knead a smooth firm dough. Adjust the milk quantity accordingly.
The smooth dough is ready to be rolled out .
7. Take small portions of dough, roll them into small balls and roll them out into 1/2 inch thick circles. the edges will crack while you roll, but you can fix them back with your hands or a flat spatula/ butter knife. Using a cookie cutter or a bottle cap, cut the dough into desired shapes.
8. Line a baking tray with parchment paper/butter paper and arrange these biscuits leaving little gap between them.
9. In a preheated oven, bake the biscuits at 160 degrees C for 12-15 minutes approximately or till the time the biscuits are browned on the sides and at the back.
All of us at home had a great tea time with these biscuits. A mildly sweet and salty biscuit added with the digestive goodness of Cumin. It can't get better !!!
I am going to bake this again real soon !!!
Chef Tips :
1. You can tightly roll the dough in a cling film ,shape it like a cylinder and refrigerate for half an hour. Cut them into slices .
2. You can powder the cumin seeds and add it to the dough.
3. If the biscuits are browning very fast then your oven is too hot.
4. I baked the biscuits in the middle rack.
5. Preheat the oven for just 5 minutes at 160 degrees.
6. When you are baking these biscuits, have a watchful eye over the oven.
7. You can bake these biscuits in the microwave in microwave + convection mode.
P.S : Baked the Jeera Biscuits again just now and I am so excited with the outcome! It is so soft,light and absolutely melt in the mouth biscuits!!! I also baked ' World's best eggless Choco Chip Cookies"...shall update you all with that recipe real soon!!!