Surprisingly, this is the first Salad Recipe that I am posting in my blog. . The reason why I am sharing 'Salad ' recipe is that it can be cooked into a delicious snack! I have added fruits and nuts and some flavours that everyone at home like.
A Good Salad is one that has it's share of greens, acids, proteins and flavour enhancers. I have used Chilli sauce with green chillies ,lemon juice ,freshly crushed cumin and caraway seeds for flavour. Apple Cidar Vinegar and Virgin Olive Oil balances the taste. The toasted nuts gives the crunch and the apples gives their tart .
I also going to share my method of sprouting whole grains !
When taste meets health, I think you can try this recipe with your eyes closed!
Tasty Fruity Sprouts Salad :
Sprouting time :24 to 36 hours ( approximately)
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time :5 minutes
Serves :6 (small ramkins)
Cup =200 ml
2 Cups Steamed Green Moong Sprouts
1 Apple ( chopped)
1 Medium sized Chopped Onion
1 chopped tomato
1 finely chopped Green chilli
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon Chirongi
1/2 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon Cucumber Seeds
1 tablespoon Apple cidar Vinegar ( or plain Vinegar)
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Sauce ( or hot and sweet chilli sauce)
Flavour Enhancers :
1 teaspoon freshly powdered Cumin seeds ( Jeera)
1/2 teaspoon freshly powdered caraway seeds ( Ajwain)
Salt to taste
Crushed Black Pepper Corns ( optional)
1. Wash the whole greens and soak it in water for 8 hours. Drain the water. Let there be little moisture in the bowl . Do not drain thoroughly. Close the bowl with a mesh lid and let it rest in room temperature for another 8 to 15 hours . You can toss the grains once in 2 hours so that the moisture spreads uniformly.The time for sprouting varies depending upon the climate. If you are having summers then the sprouting will happen within 8 hours . If the grains become too dry, you can sprinkle little water and mix.
You get such beautiful Sprouts!
2. In a pan, lightly toast the nuts and the seeds to release flavours.
3. In a bowl add oil, vinegar, lime juice, green chillies ,sauce and the cumin -caraway mixture, salt . Mix well. Your dressing is ready!!!
4. Add all the vegetables, fruits ,steamed sprouts in a bowl.
5. Add the dressing, mix well.
6. Just before serving add the toasted nuts.
A simple and amazingly flavourful Salad for the entire family. Enjoy!!!!!
Chef Tips :
1. You can add nuts of your choice.
2. Add or reduce the vegetables / fruits
3. Adding finely chopped herbs enhances taste
4. Add nuts only before you serve to retain crunchiness.
5. Always use fresh fruits and vegetables for Salad.
6. I steamed the sprouts for around 7minutes as my kids love it that way. You can choose to avoid that step.
Happy Cooking !