We recently had a potluck dinner at home and I had volunteered to make the Starters and Salads. One dish that stood out among the various dishes that I made that day was the 'Arabic Fattoush salad'. It is a popular Middle Eastern Salad that is filled with the flavour of mint.
Middle Eastern dishes are becoming increasing popular in India and if you try and taste this salad , you will know the reason!!!
Arabic Fattoush Salad :
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves : 4
Vessel Required : A wide cooking pan.
4 English Cucumbers ( peeled and cubed)
1 large firm tomato ( deseeded and sliced)
1/4th of a Bell pepper( you can add red and yellow ones also)
1 small bunch of Mint leaves/Pudina leaves(finely chopped)
50 gms of crumbled cottage cheese/Paneer
2 Pita breads( torn into pieces)
1 tablespoon Oil
For the dressing :
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tablespoons of Vinegar ( I used apple cidar)
2 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1. In a bowl add your chopped vegetables.
2.Prepare your Salad dressing by mixing all the ingredients given under 'dressing'.
3. Mix the salad dressing, salt to the vegetables and keep it aside.
4. In a wide pan, add a tablespoon of oil and toast the pita bread till it is crisp.
5. Just before serving the salad, add the crumbled Cottage cheese and the toasted pita and enjoy your Fattoush Salad.
Chef Tips :
1. Always add fresh vegetables for Salad.
2. Freshness of mint leaves is important for this salad as it adds the main flavour.
3.You can add crushed garlic in the dressing if you like the garlicky flavour.
4. If cherry tomatoes are in season , do add them.
5. Add the toasted pita to the salad just before serving, else it will turn soggy.
6. You can us Feta Cheese instead of Paneer, if it is easily available in your neighbourhood market.
7. You can add more spice to the salad by adding red chilli flakes to the dressing.
8. This salad is a great party starter. You can prepare everything in advance except the pita and refrigerate.