Continuing with my 'Navratri Special Meal Ideas', today I am sharing a very interesting, healthy platter.
Kuttu/Buckwheat flour is often used during the VRAT days . It is a healthy, gluten free flour. I have also used the millet variety called the 'Sama Rice/Samvat' , which again is full of nutritional properties.
To know more about the Navratri VRAT, you can refer to my earlier post here
NAVRATRI HAPPY MEAL :
5 minute APPLE HALWA
Preparation time : 3 hours ( includes dough resting time)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves : 2
KUTTU ROTI :
1/2 Cup Hulled Buckwheat Flour/Kuttu Flour
1/4 teaspoon coarsely crushed Cumin seeds
Rock Salt/Sendha Namak to taste
2 teaspoons Oil to knead
Ghee to brush the roti
1. In a bowl add all the dry ingredients.
2.Add water and oil little by little and make a soft dough more softer than the Flatbread dough(roti dough), and keep the dough covered for atleast 1 hour. I rested the dough for 3 hours.
3. Lightly dust the working surface and using a rolling pin you can shape Kuttu Rotis . Use light hands to roll.
3. Heat a tawa and cook the rotis on both sides. They will brown beautifully and puff up just like normal rotis.
4. Brush the rotis with little ghee for added taste.
5. Enjoy hot rotis with Aloo KADHI .
ALOO KADHI/POTATO CURD CURRY :
1 Large boiled and cubed Potato
1 finely Chopped green Chilli
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon oil
Rock salt to taste
1 cup curd/whisked yoghurt
1. In a kadahi/ wok, heat oil and add the cumin seeds. when they sizzle, add the green chillies, cubed potatoes and rock salt. Cook the potatoes in low flame and now and then toss them so that they roast uniformly. This will take 5 to 7 minutes only. Switch off.
2. Now add the whisked curd and mix well. Switch on the gas and simmer the kadhi for 2 to 3 minutes. Your, simple VRAT Kadhi is ready!!!
APPLE HALWA/ APPLE PUDDING:
1 peeled and grated apple
1/2 teaspoon ghee
1/4 teaspoon fresh cardamom powder
1/4 cup sugar(Adjust according to taste)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon toasted Chirongi seeds
1. Peel and grate an apple.
2.Add cardamom powder and mix well.
3. In a pan heat ghee, add the apple, sugar and water. Cook this mixture in low flame till the time the apple is completely cooked and the sugar syrup is almost absorbed by the apple. Do wait for the entire syrup to evaporate as the sugar will crystallise when the halwa cools.
4. So, let there be some syrup left like this. Garnish with the toasted Chirongi.
Your simple yet healthy and delicious halwa is ready to be offered for Bhog.
WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NAVRATRI.
P.S: You can also try other Special meal options :