Continuing my NAVRATRI FASTING RECIPE ideas, today I am so excited to present this nutritious and yummy combination of sweet and savoury known very popularly in Bangalore as 'CHOW CHOW BATH'.
I have substituted Semolina by Samvat/Sama rice that is used during Navratra VRAT/fasting in North India.
The Samvat/Sama rice is also known as Barnyard Millet and is Gluten free.
You can read more about this festival and recipes here.
Navratri Special CHOW CHOW BATH:
SAMA RICE SHEERA
SAMA RICE UPMA
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
1 Cup=250 ml
Vessels Required : Pressure Cooker and Small pan
NOTE: You can pressure cook the total quantity of Sama rice required for both the items together. Also, I have used rock salt as it is the salt that is used during Fasting days.
SAMVAT RICE SHEERA :
1/4 cup Barnyard millet
3 tablespoon sugar ( add according to your taste)
1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
1/4 cup water ( adjust)
1 teaspoon Ghee/clarified Butter ( adjust if you want it more rich)
5 to 6 cashewnuts for garnish
1. Wash Sama rice and Soak it for half hour and just pressure cook it for 3 whistles. The water:millet proportion depends on the quality of millets. My Millet: Water proportion is 1:3 ( for soaking).
2. In a pan, add the water and sugar.
3. Let the sugar melt and start boiling.
4. Add the cooked Sama rice. add the cardamom powder and mix well. Cook in low flame. The Sama rice will absorb the extra water. This will take 1 to 2 minutes only.
5. Switch off. Heat a small ladle/pan with the ghee and roast the cashewnuts. Pour it hot on the Sheera.
Your Sama Rice Sheera is ready for the BHOG/Naivedyam/prashad.
SAMA RICE UPMA:
1/4 cup Soaked and cooked Barnyard millet
1 boiled,peeled and chopped potato
1 tomato chopped
2 large green chilli ,cut lengthwise
1/4 tsp roasted peanuts
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon Oil
1/2 teaspoon Ghee/Clarified Butter
Rocksalt to taste
1. Get all the ingredients ready.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. when they sizzle, add the chillies and tomatoes. Stir and cook them for a minute. Add Rock salt.
3. Add the Boiled and chopped potatoes. Let it blend with the other vegetables. This will take just a minute.
4. Now, add the boiled barnyard millet and mix. Sprinkle some water, if it is too dry and cover the pan and cook for a couple of minutes in low heat.
5. Add toasted cashewnuts/peanuts and serve hot.
Your Sama Rice Upma is ready to be served along with Sheera!
CUCUMBER RAITA :
Whisk the curd well . Add chopped cucumber , freshly crushed cumin powder,rock salt. Mix well. Your raita is ready.
Serve this meal along with a Banana or anyother fruit and it is a wholesome way to continue your Navratra Vrat.
You can also try SABUDANA KHICHDI MEAL !
Have a blessed Navratri!