It is Navratri time and I have been sharing interesting 'Meal Ideas' with all of you. While working with the buckwheat flour, I found that it can be used to make so many other dishes apart from rotis/flat breads and puris.
As ' hand pies' are my first choice when it comes to a dessert, I created a yummy filling that would be approved by every one in the family.
I was so happy that this recipe not only got approved but got me wonderful compliments for the taste and I have got requests to send this dessert in "tiffin box" soon.
Peda Pies :
Preparation time : 10 minutes + 30 minutes resting time
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2
Vessel Required : Heavy bottom pan
For the pastry:
100gms Buckwheat Flour/kuttu atta
50 gms powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon Ghee/Clarified butter
A pinch of salt
Water to knead
For the filling :
1 Medium size bottle gourd (peeled, deseeded and grated)
1/2 teaspoon ghee
200 ml Milk ( adjust)
3 tablespoons Condensed Milk ( adjust sugar according to your taste requirements)
1 teaspoon coarsely crushed roasted nuts ( optional)
1. In a bowl, add all the ingredients given under 'pastry'. Mix well using a fork. Add water little by little and knead it to make a soft dough.
2. In a greased bowl, place the dough and cover with a damp cloth or a cling film and let it rest for 30 minutes.
3. While the dough is resting , let us prepare the 'Bottle Gourd Pedas'. Take a heavy bottom pan, add ghee and add the grated bottle gourd,stir and add the milk. Let the bottle gourd completely cook in the milk. You can add little more milk if it is taking longer time to cook.
4. Once the bottle gourd is completely cooked, add the condensed milk. The whole mixture will start coming together and will leave the sides of the pan. Switch off.
5. Let the mixture cool. Then make small peda( balls) of the filling.
6. Dust the working floor, take small portions of the pastry dough, roll them like flat breads and using a cookie cutter/ pizza cutter cut them in desired shapes. I had made pies in different shapes, sizes ( you can definetely make neater ones!! Refer here for stepwise pictures to make handpies)
7. Fill the pastry dough with the peda and seal the edges using a fork.
8. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees C for 7 minutes. Line a baking tray with butter paper. Place the Peda Pies and brush the top of the pies with Milk or Ghee.
9. Bake them at 160 degrees C for 10 to 12 minutes or till the time the pies are brown on the sides and back.
Your pies are ready to be served 'hot' to your guests or your family!! They are going to love this!!!
Chef Tips :
1. If you do not have an oven, you can make these pies on stove top also. Grease a pan/tava with oil/ghee and cook the pie till done on both sides.
2. You can use brown sugar/ refined sugar if you do not have condensed milk at home. Adjust the amount of sugar. Add the sugar only after the bottle gourd is cooked.
3. Poke the top layer of the pie with a fork so that steam can escape easily.
4. You can comfortably bake this earlier and refrigerate. Heat just for a few seconds in a microwave before serving.
5. You can substitute bottle gourd with grated apple .
6. When you eat buckwheat flour, remember to drink plenty of buttermilk or water .