I am so happy to share this traditional South Indian Festival Snack Recipe with you all. I was lucky to have tasted different varieties of Suyyam or Suyyan , during my various 'Golu Hopping' days during this Navrathri. I cannot forget eating the Suyyam made by Mrs. Latha Vaidyanathan( She also happens to be the Ex-Principal of Modern School, New Delhi ) .
A Celebrity to the world and a person who has shaped so many innumerable young minds, it was a pleasure and honour interacting with her. A simple and a very humble human being. I was fortunate to visit her this Navratri and she insisted that I taste her In-House Speciality dish " Suyyam". Oh My God, Delicious, delicate and simply out of the world.
I wanted to know the exact recipe and Latha Ma'am was so happy to share the process of making Soft , great tasting Suyyams.
I had to come home and try !!!Came out absolutely delicious!
Sharing this awesome festive recipe with all.
A Must try Recipe !
Preparation time : 4 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1 cup = 250 ml
Special Vessel : Iron Wok/ Karahi to fry the Suyyams
1 Cup Urad Dal / Husked black gram
1/2 Cup powdered jaggery
1 Cup freshly grated Coconut
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 teaspoon Ghee
Salt to taste ( little more than a pinch)
Oil to fry
1. Wash the Urad dal three times and soak it in water for 3-4 hours.
2. Grind the Urad using very little water. Grind it in the same consistency as you grind Urad to make vadas. Add salt .
TIP: Grinding it in a wet grinder will give best results. However , if you are grinding in a Mixer or food processor, whisk the batter with your hand for atleast 5 minutes to give a nice aeration to the batter.
3. In a pan, add ghee and the powdered Jaggery.
TIP: Use a good brand impurities free jaggery . It saves a lot of cooking time.
4. When the jaggery melts, add the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
5. Stirring in low heat and the mixture will come together and leave the sides of the pan within a minute or two. Switch off.
6. Once the coconut mixture is bearable to touch, take small portions and roll them into small balls.
TIP : Roll all the entire batch before you heat the Oil.
7. Heat Oil in a wide pan/ wok . When the oil is hot, dip each ball in the Urad Batter to coat it uniformly and fry in oil.
TIP: Fry the suyyam in medium low to low flame through out. The oil should not be too hot else, the filling will burn.
8. When the Suyyam is browned uniformly on all sides, drain them in a tissue paper.
Delicious Suyyam is ready to be served hot or cold. A Delicacy that makes your festival time more joyous !
Wish you a Joyous Festival and Happy Cooking !