I am so excited to share this special Tofu Recipe with you all. I am sure many of you must be lovers of Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian Kebabs. Ofcourse, traditional kebabs are arranged in skewers and grilled over charcoal.
But , I am going to share a quick, healthy at the same time tasty version of making Kebabs. A perfect starter in any party. And the best part is that it is pan fried with cooking time less than 25 minutes!!!
I make this very often at home as a starter and also as an after school snack. I made these recently for a dinner party as a starter. I marinated the tofu in the morning and just before my dinner party, pan fried them and served them as "Tofu Kebabs'. As easy as that!
This recipe is so tempting that by the end of this post , you are sure to be motivated enough to try them immediately!!!!
Easy Tofu Kebabs / Pan Fried Tofu Kebabs :
Marination time : 4 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
You will need 4-6 wooden skewers .
200 gms Tofu
2 large green bell pepper ( you can add red and yellow bellpeppers too)
3 large firm tomatoes (de-seeded and cut into large pieces)
1 large Onion ( optional)
3 tablespoon Oil
2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
1 teaspoon Goda Masala or Channa Masala powder
1 teaspoon Coriander powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon Yoghurt ( optional)
1. In a large bowl, add all the dry masala powders, salt,oil and mix well.
2. Add the cubed tofu and the vegetables. Squeeze lemon juice and mix well. Cling wrap/cover the bowl and keep it refrigerated for atleast 3 to 4 hours. If you are making for lunch, then marinate overnight.
3. Heat a wide non-stick pan, transfer the marinated vegetables and fry them in high heat for 1 full minute. No need to stir them during this one minute.
4. Now, lower the heat to medium low and toss the vegetables and tofu. Let it fry nicely. Keep stirring occasionally so that all sides are browned and looks crisp from outside.
5. This will take around 15 minutes. If you are making a larger quantity, fry in two batches.
6. Arrange the vegetables in a skewer and serve along with freshly cut onion rings and mint chutney. Yummy!
Chef Tips :
1. I have added our favourite spice powders. You can add your in house favourite spices. make sure to use fresh spice powders.
2. Do not overcrowd the pan. Each vegetable needs space to fry.
3. Use a large wide, heavy bottom pan.
4. Pav Bhaji Masala, kitchen King Masala, Egg Curry Masala, Goda Masala are great flavours to try.
5. Using Kashmiri Chilli Powder gives a natural red colour.
6. For mint chutney, I ground a small bunch of mint leaves and cilantro leaves with a large onion, green chilli , salt and a dash of lime.
7. You can use Soya Chunks , Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese also to make these kebabs.