This dessert needs no introduction . Coconut Burfi or Coconut Fudge is one of the most favourite Indian sweet. It is also my husband's favourite sweet.
Though there are plenty of ways to make this dessert, today I will be sharing a easy method of making Coconut Burfi without getting a chewy texture. Another thing special about this recipe is that I have not used any oil or Ghee except for greasing.
As there is plenty of festive work for you and me, without any more delay, going directly to the recipe.
I have given measurements to make a small batch. You can double or triple the recipe for making a bigger batch.
Coconut Burfi/Fudge :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield : 20 Small slices of Burfi
50 gms Milk powder
75 gms Grated Coconut
50 gms Sugar
1/4 Cup Water (adjust)
4 drops rose essence ( optional)
Ghee for greasing ( not required if you are using paper cups)
1. Using a coconut scrapper, grate the coconut.
TIP: First grate one full coconut and then measure . If extra, you can use for making something else.
2. Keep a wide pan over low flame and heat the grated coconut to remove the extra moisture. Keep stirring continously so that the coconut does not change colour. This should take less than 2-3 minutes. Transfer this into a tissue paper/ kitchen towel. Set it aside.
3. In the same pan, add sugar and pour water to cover the sugar ( 1/4 cup approximately). Let the sugar melt over low flame.
4. Now add the milk powder and keep stirring to avoid any lumps.
5. Once the milk powder is well incorporated, add the grated coconut and keep stirring
6. When the mixture becomes one single lump and does not stick to the sides of the pan, switch off.
7. Grease a pan/plate and transfer the coconut mixture. You can garnish with dry fruits.I used small chocolate paper cups to serve them. I scooped a 2 teaspoon into each cup and waited till it cooled to serve.
8. Cut the burfis when the mixture is warm Or Just serve them in paper wrappers in style.
They will taste yum either way. If you are refrigerating for later use, then thaw them for atleast 10 minutes before you serve them.
Again, a great looking and tasting dessert to gift your friends.
Wishing you a Joyous Festival and Happy Cooking!