Lemon Rice needs no introduction. It is so popular worldwide. Though the basic preparation method is fairly the same...I am going to share certain tips of getting the authentic taste while preparing this traditional South Indian Recipe. Whenever I taste this rice in restaurants and even Star hotels, I wonder how such a simple recipe can be messed up !!
The beauty of Lemon Rice is it's simplicity and the flavour of lemon. Adding too many ingredients in this rice will remove the authenticity of this traditional dish.
Perfect recipe for your lazy Sundays, picnics and potlucks . You just need fresh lemon, green chillies and curry leaves.
Mix them to fluffy cooked rice and your 'Ellumichai saadam ' is ready. A handy recipe that you can pack for your office or kid's lunch box.
Tambrahm Style LEMON RICE | ELLUMICHAI SAADAM :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml
1 Cup Uncooked Rice ( Sona Masoori/ Ponni Rice varieties are ideal))
Juice of 2 lemons ( adjust according to the variety of lemon you are using)
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon Oil
1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 & 1/2 teaspoon Channa dal/ Bengal gram
1 and 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal/Split Black gram
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 -4 Finely Chopped Green Chillies ( adjust)
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
1/2 inch Ginger piece finely chopped( optional)
Curry leaves ( I add them generously)
1. Boil Rice in such a way that it is not mushy. I usually use 1:2 , Rice : Water to get the right consistency. But this will differ according to the rice you are using. Once the rice is done, transfer it to a wide plate/ vessel .
2. In a heavy bottom wide pan or Wok , heat 2 teaspoons oil . Add all the ingredients given under 'tempering'.
TIP: Add the turmeric powder in the last and switch off the gas so that the powder does not burn.
3. Pour this tempering to the rice and mix well.
4. Mix the lemon juice and the salt adequate for the rice in a small cup. Remove the seeds before you mix with rice.
5. Pour the lemon juice-salt mixture over the rice. Mix again and serve hot. You can even garnish with cashewnuts.
TIP: Taste and adjust the quantity of lemon juice. Also, always add lemon juice at the end so that the flavour is retained.
Your tasty and easy to make 'Tambrahm Style lemon Rice ' is ready to be served or packed.Enjoy it with appalam, poppadoms or chips.