'Namak Para' or 'Nimki' is an easy to make fried Savoury Snack. It is very popular in the Northern States of India and is available in the Sweet Shops through out the year.
During my teaching days, I was lucky to have had hands on experience of making these perfect tea time snack. It was loads of fun to make Namak Para and Shakarpara as a Diwali Activity along with Children . I have to thank Pooja didi and Jyotsna didi for this recipe.
With just three ingredients and less cooking time, this is a great recipe to try this Diwali.
Namak Para / Nimki :
Preparation time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes resting time
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Special Vessel : Iron Wok ( Namkeens taste best when fried in Iron Wok/Karahi)
100 gms Maida/All Purpose Flour (1/2 Cup)
1 tablespoon Water ( I added little extra)
1 teaspoon Ajwain/Carom seeds
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Oil to fry
1. In a bowl, add the the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add water little by little to make a stiff dough.
3. Rest the dough covered for 10 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin. Do not roll it very thin. Let the thickness be atleast 1cm.
5. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut them into desired shapes .
6. Heat oil in a Wok. Check the temperature of oil by dropping a small piece. If it sizzles and floats instantly, the oil is ready.
7. Drop the cut pieces carefully . Keep the gas in low flame so that they are cooked well and browned uniformly.
8. Drain them in a tissue paper and store them in an airtight box.
These Namak Para stays good for upto two weeks. Serve them to your guests along with hot tea/coffee.
A great tasting easy snack is ready in a jiffy.
1. Temperature of oil is very important. It should not be too hot, otherwise the Namak Para will brown quickly and not get properly cooked.
2. Make a Stiff dough for crispy Namak Para.
Wishing you a Joyous Festival and Happy Cooking !