" Christmas, Christmas time is near
Time for joy and time for cheer
Please Christmas don't be late
We can hardly stand the wait.."
This song sums up how I feel about Christmas time!! I get into a baking spree. Loads of cookies and other goodies. Today, I am going to share a 'Classic Christmas Cookie' recipe. It is so colourful and reflects the Christmas mood. Soft, buttery and melt in the mouth sugar cookies....yummy!
You can prepare this cookie much earlier, cover each cookie with butter paper and store them in an airtight container. Freeze the cookies till christmas. It stays good for upto a month when freezed. How convenient ! Icing can be done maybe a day or two before christmas. If you are baking using coloured sugar, then even that is not required.
Classic Sugar Cookies :
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Measurement : 1 Cup = 200 ml cup
2 & 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup butter ( room temperature)
1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
Cold Milk ( adjust)
For icing :
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
Food coloured ( if desired,use colours of your choice. gel colours work best)
1. Mix flour, baking soda,cream of tartar, sugar and salt. Sift .
2. Add the softened butter, vanilla extract and mix to form a dough adding little milk if required.
3. Do not knead. Just bring the dough together.
4. Put the dough into a zip lock pouch and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Dust the working surface with flour .
6. Divide the dough and roll each half into 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Using cookie cutters cut the dough into desired shapes.
8. Place the cut cookies in a lined baking tray.
TIP: You can sprinkle coloured sugar on top of each cookie if you want to avoid icing.
9. In a preheated oven, bake the cookies at 175 degrees C for 8 minutes or till the time you see the cookies lightly browed from the sides.
TIP:Do not overbake the cookies. They will be soft when hot, but will firm up after cooling. When they are warm, you can also roll them in icing sugar.
10. Cool them in a rack . When completely cool, store them in an airtight container.
Your 'Classic Sugar Cookies' are ready before time. Involve children in icing the cookies. They will just enjoy the experience. My cookies were decorated by my teen. She just loved it, especially icing Santa!!!
These cookies also make a wonderful edible gift. Layer a gift box with butter paper, arrange the cookies and pack the box with colourful ribbons or bows.
I have used All Purpose Flour for this recipe, you can substitute it with Gluten Free Flour or Whole Wheat Flour.