' Chapatti' is a tasty unleavened flatbread with or without layers. They are thicker than the Phulkas and thinner than the parathas. The chapattis are toasted on the hot tawa/pan with oil, ghee or butter. At home I make chapatti with ghee as it is very tasty. Ghee or Clarified butter when used in everyday cooking helps strengthen nerves according to 'Ayurveda'. Chapatti is made with Whole wheat flour that is high in fibre. It tastes great when eaten hot or cold.
So, they are most ideal for travel or tiffin box. Chapatti with Restaurant Style Mixed vegetable Curry is a great combination to try.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup
3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon Ghee( Clarified butter)
1. In a bowl, mix flour and salt well.
2. Add water little by little and mix to bring all the flour together.
TIP: The dough has to be soft and not dry.
3. Knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth.
5. Let the dough rest for 30-40 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into equal portions and shape them into balls.
7. Roll out each portion on a lightly floured working space into 6" circle.
8. Heat a tawa and place the rolled dough on it.
9.When brown spots appear on the surface, flip and spoon or brush 1/4 teaspoon ghee on the edges of the Chapatti.
10. Press gently with a ladle on the sides so that it puffs up.
11. Now flip again and and brush little ghee on the top of the chapatti and remove when golden brown.
12. Repeat the process for the remaining dough.
Serve hot .