Broken Wheat/ Dalia Kheer or Godumai Rava Payasam as it is called in Tamil, is a tasty and healthy dish . It is in our South Indian tradition to prepare Payasam during special occasions and festivities. A healthy alternative to the Rice, Godumai rava Payasam has also the goodness of Jaggery which rich in Iron. A wholesome , flavourful and guiltfree delicious kheer that can be easily prepared in half an hour.
GODUMAI RAVA PAYASAM:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Special Equipment : Pressure Cooker , Wide pan or Wok
Measurement : 1 Cup = 250 ml
1/2 Cup Broken Wheat / Godumai Rava/ Dalia
1 Cup Powdered Jaggery
1 tablespoon Moong Dal /Split yellow dal
1 Cup Milk( room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon Freshly Powdered Cardamom
1/2 cup Water
2 teaspoons Grated coconut ( optional)
1 teaspoon Ghee
1. In a wide pan, dry roast the Dalia till it is hot to touch. Transfer it to a bowl.
2. In the same pan, dry roast the moong dal till fragrant.
3. Mix the Dalia and dal together, add one cup of water and pressure cook it in low to medium flame upto 4 whistles.
4.Add half cup of water to the powdered jaggery and heat it so that it dissolves completely. Filter to remove impurities.
5. Heat a wide pan and add the jaggery water. Let it boil in low flame for 5 minutes.
6. Add the cardamom powder and the cooked Dalia and Dal mixture.
7. Let them simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the grated coconut, if you are using and switch off.
8. Add milk and stir to mix .
9. Heat a ladle with a teaspoon of ghee , add the broken cashews and saute' till lightly brown. Pour it on top of the prepared Payasam.
Your delicious Godumai Rava Payasam is ready to be served. It tastes equally good when served cold.
1. When roasting the dal, do not overdo ,else it will turn brown.
2. You can use Soya Milk or Coconut Milk to make the Kheer more healthier.
3. Cook the payasam in low flame to avoid burning.
4. You can add more dry fruits to make the Kheer richer.