Many people around the world think only of plain 'Idli ' and 'Dosa' when it comes to South Indian food.
This includes my children and I always try and cook timeless, Healthy and different South Indian recipes for them.
I get so much satisfaction when I cook such dishes and I feel so elated when they really love the food.
These small accomplishments of getting them closer to their roots keeps me motivated to try more such delicacies. Thanks to my grandmother for this recipe.
'Thavalai' is a tamil word and it means a vessel. To put it simply, this Dosa/ Indian Pancake is cooked in a small wok which is known as 'Appachatti'. There is no need for fermentation of the batter. So it is an instant dosa recipe
This is a speciality dish from North Arcot District of TamilNadu,India. The healthy addition I have given to the dosa is adding the drumstick leaves to the batter.
North Arcot Special Thavalai Dosai / pancakes from North Arcot :
Soaking time : 30 minutes
Preparation time:30 minutes
Cooking time:30 minutes
Yield: 20 dosai
1. Regular Rice - 1 cup
2. Husked Black gram/ Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
3.Sour Curd - 1 cup
4.Red Chillies - 3
5.Rock Salt - to taste
6.Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
7. Drumstick leaves -1/2 cup ( you can reduce the quantity ) ( Refer here for tips)
1. Oil -1 tbsp
2.Bengal gram/ Channa dal-1 tsp
3.Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
4.Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
1. Wash rice and soak in 2 cups water for half an hour.
2.Wash Dal and soak in water for half an hour.
3. Drain both the above and grind the dal seperately. You can add 1/4 cup of water while grinding.
4. To the rice, add chillies and drumstick leaves and grind to a smooth paste. Just add 1/4 cup water for grinding.
5. Mix the batter and add salt, sour curd and asafoetida.
6. Heat oil and add all the tempering ingredients and when the mustard seeds crackle pour it into the batter.
7. Let the batter sit for 20 minutes.
8. Heat an Appachati or a small wok greased uniformly with oil. ( I use a silicon brush to spread the oil )
9. Now pour a ladle of batter into the centre of the pan. You can swirl a little to spread the batter or leave it just like that. Close the pan with a lid. Let it cook in low heat for 5 minutes.
10. Open the lid and you can see small holes on the dosai.You can now flip the Dosai. Cook for another 2 minutes.
11. Gently remove the dosai with a wooden spatula and serve hot with any Chutney or Dosai Milagai Podi.
I served it with Coconut Chutney. The drumstick leaves and the sour curd gave extra taste to this dosai. This will be a great Lunch box idea ,a healthy breakfast or dinner option.
Chef Tips :
1. Adding drumstick leaves is optional. You can even add curry leaves or Amaranth .
2.The batter consistency is like the regular dosa batter.
3. If you are going to pack for lunch box, prepare the batter the previous day and refrigerate.
4.Instead of making it in the Appachatti,you can make small dumplings in the Paniyaram pans. It will be easier to pack them.
5. You can add small chopped coconut pieces for added taste.
6. If you are using any other Appachatti other than non-stick woks, then you need to sprinkle water on top of the pan after each dosa. This eases the making process.