It is the season of Persimmons also known as the 'Ramphal' in hindi. A very tasty fruit. Persimmons tastes so good as is..but the baker in me was getting tempted to bake something interesting. So I baked scones today and they were simply delicious.
Scones are classic English breakfast that are enjoyed with jam, cream or butter. It is best when eaten warm. The scones I made today were so soft,fluffy and rich in taste that they were devoured without any accompaniments. Adding fruits makes it more wholesome and healthy.
I have used Rice flour mixed with edible gum for this recipe. You now get them in your supermarkets under the label, "Maida Replacers". I have used Fresh Cream in the recipe. But if you are Vegan you can use fresh Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk to make these Scones. Even Almond Milk would be a great alternative.
PERSIMMON SCONES | GLUTENFREE RECIPE:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 -12 minutes
250 gms Chopped Persimmon ( I used 1 full fruit )
50 gms Unsalted Butter
200 gms Glutenfree Flour
30 gms Almond Flour ( you can powder almonds)
1 & 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
100 gms Castor Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
200 ml Fresh Cream
1 teaspoon Coloured sugar (optional)
1. Get your ingredients ready. Sift the almond flour. Mix all the dry ingredients and sift once.
2. Pinch the butter and incorporate it into the flour.
TIP : Use cold butter.
3. Add the cream and mix to make a sticky dough. Add the chopped persimmons and just mix to combine. Do not knead.
4. Dust the work place with flour. Divide the dough into two part. dust your hands with flour and pat the dough to make a circle with thickness of approximately 10mm.
TIP: The dough will be smooth and soft. Just pat them, do not use rolling pin.
5. Using a pizza cutter/ knife to cut the dough into triangles.
TIP: Wet the tip of the cutter with water for mess free cutting
6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the scones. Sprinkle cinnamon and coloured sugar on top and gently press with your finger.
7. In a pre-heated oven, bake the scones in the middle rack for 10-12 minutes .
Your scones are ready. Serve them warm with fresh fruits / jam or butter. A wonderful fruity breakfast and also a yummy tea time snack.
Happy Cooking !