Winters have set in and the vegetable markets are filled with the freshest of winter vegetables. I am going to make the most out of this season by making interesting, yummy and healthy recipes that can be had along with Indian Flatbreads like Chapathi, Roti, Naan, Paratha, malabar Paratha and Pooris. Keep visiting my space for the latest updates and newest recipes.
Today, I am sharing restaurant style Spicy Mixed Vegetable Curry. A great combination of vegetables and Indian Spices, this side dish can be a show stopper in your potluck parties too. A Curry that your children would love to carry even in their lunch box. With minimum ingredients and effort you can cook this recipe in just 20 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy : Mrs. Jyothirmayi
Restaurant Style Mixed Vegetable Curry :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup
Special Vessel/Equipment : A wide pan, mixer, ladle
1 large Potato
1 large Onion
1/4 cup peas
2 teaspoon Oil
2 teaspoon Butter or Ghee ( Clarified Butter)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon Fresh Cream ( adjust )
Salt to taste
For the Spice paste :
7 Garlic pods
1 inch Ginger piece
5 to 6 Dry Red Chillies ( I used Kashmiri Chillies)
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground cinnamon
2 Green Cardamoms with husk
3 tablespoons of Grated or Chopped Fresh coconut
For tempering and Garnish :
2 teaspoons of finely chopped Cilantro or mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
1. Finely Chop Onions and tomatoes.
2. Chop all the other vegetables into medium size cubes and steam them for 10 minutes or till they are parboiled.
3. In a mixer, add all the ingredients given under 'Spice Paste' and adding little water, grind them into a smooth paste.
4. In a wide pan, heat the oil + ghee mixture and temper with fennel seeds. Add onions, salt and sugar. Saute' the onions for 2-3 minutes.
5. Now add the tomatoes and turmeric powder.
6. Over low flame, Saute' the onion tomatoes mixture for 5 to 7 minutes.
TIP: The mixture has to reduce in quantity. The tomatoes will turn mushy and blend with the onions.
7. At this stage add the steamed vegetables and the spice paste. Add little water and let the vegetables simmer for 7 minutes.
TIP: Cover the pan while it simmers.
8. Add cream and mix well. Let it cook for another minute. Switch off.
TIP: If you want more gravy add more water/cream . I made it into a semi-dry gravy ( Kadai Vegetable)
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro/mint leaves and serve hot with the Chapathi/ Roti/ Poori.
A delicious recipe using the seasonal vegetables. You can use the vegetables that are in season to make this Curry.