Getting children to eat fruits is always a challenge !Fresh Fruit Jam is a great way to include fruits in their diet. Making fresh fruit jam is quite simple and when we make at home without any preservatives , it is even better.
Strawberries are in season now, I had made a large batch of strawberry jam to use in my cakes, cookies and also spread them in bread.
Strawberry Jam :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes : 250 gms of Strawberry jam
1 cup =250 gms cup
Special Vessel : A clean and dry bottle
40 strawberries ( chopped finely) OR 2 cups of chopped strawberries
1 cup granulated sugar( adjust sugar according to the sweetness of strawberry)
1 teaspoon juice of lemon
1. Add strawberries and sugar in a pan and simmer over medium heat.
2. Keep stirring occasionally so that the sugar completely melts.
3. Add the lemon juice.
4. It will take around 15 to 20 minutes for the jam to thicken.
5. To check whether the jam is done, place a plate in freezer for 10 minutes. Spoon a little bit of jam on the plate. Seperate the jam with your finger. If the gap remains, then you can switch off the gas. If they run , then cook for couple of minutes and check again.
6. Let it cool completely.
7. Transfer it to a clean and dry glass bottle/jar.
Use a clean,dry spoon very time you use the jam. Keep it refrigerated. It stays good for upto a month.