Wish You all a very Happy New Year !! My heartfelt thanks to each and everyone of you for motivating me with your wonderful comments and feedback. I hope to share interesting, innovative and also some traditional recipes with you all this year.
I am starting the year on a sweet note - A dessert and also the most popular cake in India - Black Forest ! Chocolate Cake with fruit compote/jam and frosted with Whipped cream , Cherries and Chocolate shavings. Sounds delicious, is'nt it?
Well, it is so easy and exciting to make at home. This year is going to be filled with so many Celebrations and festivities. Black Forest Cake for such occasions is a fantastic idea!
Black Forest Cake (Eggless) :
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Total time : 3 hours
Serves - 4
Storage - 2 to 3 days when refrigerated
1 Cup = 250 ml Cup
Note : For Vegan options you can use almond milk, coconut milk or soymilk.
For the sponge :
1 cup all purpose flour /maida
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup oil /butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
1 teaspoon vinegar
Milk ( adjust to make a cake batter)
For the glaze :
3 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
For the filling :
5 to 6 tablespoons of fresh homemade strawberry jam
For the frosting:
200ml whipping cream
1 cup icing sugar (adjust according to your taste)
10 glazed cherries or fresh berries
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate shavings
1. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients given under 'sponge'. Mix well and then add vinegar, milk and bring it to a ribbon/cake batter consistency .
2. Grease 2 or 3 uniform size cake tins and pour equal amount of batter in each tin.
3. In a preheated oven, bake the cake at 175 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes or till the time a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
4. After 7 to 8 minutes, remove the cake from the tin and allow it to completely cool in a rack.
TIP: You can bake the cake a day ahead and cling wrap the cake tightly and refrigerate till you frost.
5. Prepare your fresh strawberry jam.
6. Whip the cream till it is light and fluffy, add the icing sugar and whip till stiff peaks form.
Assembling the Black Forest Cake :
1. Take a cake board/plate,apply little frosting and place one of the chocolate cake .
TIP: Place the cake inverted as it will be flatter. You can cut the top layer incase it is uneven.
2. Glaze the cake with sugar water ( proportion given under 'glaze)
3. Spread 4 to 5 tablespoons of Strawberry jam. Apply a layer of whipped cream.
4. Place the other chocolate cake on top of the jam layer.
5. Repeat the glaze.
6. Now frost the cake with fresh whipped cream .
7. Spread the chocolate shavings .
8. Decorate with glazed cherries or fresh berries
Keep refrigerated till you consume. Your delicious cake is ready for the party !
Happy Cooking !