I had made a complete 'Indese' lunch for my family last week. 'Indese' is the term we use at home for all my IndoChinese preparations. I had earlier shared 'Cottage Cheese in Hot Garlic Sauce' recipe and it perfectly complimented the Burnt Garlic Rice and Hakka Noodles that I had made.
You will find 'Burnt Garlic Rice' in the menu of most IndoChinese restaurants. As the name suggests, the rice is flavoured with the taste of fried garlic pieces. This is a quick and easy preparation and if you are a lover of this cuisine, then you can make it often and even pack it for your lunch boxes.
A fantastic dish for your picnics and get togethers.
Burnt Garlic Rice :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
NOTE: All the vegetables to be very finely chopped. I used a vegetable chopper to finely chop them.
2 cups Basmati Rice
25 garlic pods
10 french beans
3 green chillies ( adjust according to the heat of chillies)
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon vinegar
3-4 black peppercorns ( Freshly crushed/powdered)
1 teaspoon red chilli sauce ( optional)
salt to taste
Finely chopped greens of spring onion
Fried Garlic pieces
1. Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes and cook the rice with just enough water , so that the rice is 'non-sticky' or separate. We do not want mushy rice. I cooked the rice with 1:1 water:rice proportion.
2. In a wide pan, heat oil and add the chopped garlic. Add a pinch of salt and sugar.
3. Let the garlic fry and become brown and crispy. Keep stirring so that the garlic browns uniformly.
4. Remove some fried garlic and keep it aside for garnish.
5. Add the chopped green chillies, carrots and beans and continue to cook/stir them in low/medium flame .
TIP: You can add 1-2 tablespoons water so that the vegetables can cook faster.
6. Add salt, vinegar, soy sauce , chilli sauce and continue to stir in medium flame till the vegetables are cooked . This will not take long as the vegetables are finely chopped.
7. Now add the rice and keep stirring to mix well in medium flame and switch off.
8. Garnish the rice with the chopped greens and the fried garlic pieces.
Your Burnt Garlic Rice is ready to be served !
For more such delicious rice recipes, click here